Thread: Please help!!!

Post Likes

Unhappy

My central air conditioning broke down. I have an old Carrier 58SSB095-BC furnace that was installed a while ago before I moved into my house. The problem is that it now does not blow any more cold air.

I have a guy come out to service it last year, which he did. He filled it up with freon, but told us that the "a-coil" was going bad and would have to be replaced soon. Every now and then, I'd see some oily looking substance dripping from one of the pipes around the furnace, but I could never tell exactly where it was coming from.

Well, this year, when I went to turn on the AC, no cold air blew out. Instead, outside, on the insulated pipe close to the big blower unit, a huge block of ice formed around this insulated pipe. I turned off the unit, and called the guy back. He basically told me I have to get a whole new furnace.

Is this guy bluffing? I don't have the time, space, or money to get a brand new central AC unit. Can I just buy a compatible A-coil unit and have it installed to replace the old unit?

Please help me with any suggestions. My parents are old, and it's way too hot for them to be sitting around in 88F+ temps WITH humidity.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    if system is old it may need to be replaced can't see it from here. if system is icing back to compressor it is not totally out of freon, no reason it could not be topped off just to get some relief for parents as long as you understand it is a temporary fix. tech could examine rest of system to see if money for coil would be justified or just p'd away.

Post Likes
    So do you really think the system is shot? I mean the guy told me that he could come out again and top it off with freon, but that it was only temporary and I'd have to get it done every year, perhaps more than once. He said the a-coil is leaking the freon into the air?

What are my options?

Post Likes
    You can replace just the coil but it may not be a good idea for what could be a whole host of reasons. I will say that normally if you see oil dripping from one of the lines without taking a cover off then it could be fixable.

At this point I think I would call someone else and tell them your situation. Maybe you will get lucky.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Post Likes
    So sorta like a second opinion, yes? I've tried calling lots of different people to come out and look at the unit, but they want over $150.00 just to come out, to START with.

Post Likes
    sounds like you may need a new system. they dont last forever and do have to be replaced. if the guy said he is willing to top it off then why didnt you have him do it.
    yes it is temp but at least your parents will be comfortable while you decide what you are going to do
    keep in mind he cant keep topping the charge off. sooner or later you will have to make a decision and replce the system

Post Likes
    So this would basically entail changing just the funace unit, or would it have to be both the furnace unit and the outside compressor?

Can you get me started off on what I should be looking for and how to determine what kind of system I would need?

Post Likes
    sorry but beides that there is nothing else anyone here can do to help.

Post Likes
    Ok, I'll try to go and get a second opinion. Thanks for your help, I'll be back to ask more questions.

Post Likes
    depending on the condition and safety of the furnace, you can keep it, if all is good.

the evaporator coil is a seperate entity as is the condensing unit (outdoor section).

the furnace only provides the air flow in cooling mode.

oil is definately a sign of a leak, and more than likely more to come in the future. a common place for leaks on a carrier coil is the threaded fitting on the liquid line (smaller) entering the evaporator coil.

it could be simple, and adding refrigerant while you decide sounds like your best bet.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    depending on the condition and safety of the furnace, you can keep it, if all is good.

the evaporator coil is a seperate entity as is the condensing unit (outdoor section).

the furnace only provides the air flow in cooling mode.

oil is definately a sign of a leak, and more than likely more to come in the future. a common place for leaks on a carrier coil is the threaded fitting on the liquid line (smaller) entering the evaporator coil.

it could be simple, and adding refrigerant while you decide sounds like your best bet.

good luck.
    Well, this oily substance was leaking on the inside, which means it's the evaporator coil.

This guy that I had come out and look at the unit referred to it as the "a-coil". Are we talking about the same thing?

Post Likes
    Just for kicks, I e-mailed these guys, http://americanhvacparts.com/index.htm, and this is what they said is what I need:

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...egory_Code=AC1

Is this accurate?

Post Likes
    not sure but possibly. You may want to call around to see if anyone will install it before you buy. Many companies will not and others charge more and will not back it.

Post Likes
    The guy that I am constantly speaking about said he'd do it for $250.00.

Also, I see coils rated for 2, 3, and 5 tons. Are these the actual weight of the coils themselves?

Post Likes
    Does your furnace look like it would support 2,000 lbs?
    WWG1 WGA

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ajm786
    The guy that I am constantly speaking about said he'd do it for $250.00.

Also, I see coils rated for 2, 3, and 5 tons. Are these the actual weight of the coils themselves?
    No thats how they are rated, nothing to do with weight.

Is this guy licenced and insured? Make sure when he does install it that he pulls a 500 micron vacuum or lower. Make him show you that he did this. also when he brazes anything that the lines are being purged with nitrogen. Your also gonna need a liquid line drier.

Good luck with this. Also remember some manufacturers do not give a warranty for products sold over the internet.

Post Likes
    what area are you located?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Troll,IMHO.

Post Likes
    I think you are correct.
    WWG1 WGA

Post Likes
    Sorry guys, I was away. I hope you're not referring to me as a troll.

I am located in Berwyn Heights, MD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in