Question

is the temp laser guns good too use for superheat,subcooling,or is this a useless tool.any body with this tool please commit

dont use it, i have a uei INF151, and there was a 60* differance between it and my digital thermometer when checking the discharge temp's.

Lazer temp guns are great for "approximate" temps of product and supply air temp etc. and can point out severe issues with other components. You just have to look for the unusual, compare, and viola, you have scanned 100 cases & 15 walkins in 1/2 hour.

Most chains could save a ton of money, with the proper use of temp. checks, and 10 times as much if they knew "what to do" "when" "this" "happens".
    Thats why we are $30+/hr. somethings!

Which is way better than 30 something.

[Edited by mccool on 07-18-2005 at 02:55 AM]
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

I use my Cooper IR gun during supermarket maintenance. The suction and discharge lines I usually measure, I have wrapped with black 3M electrical tape. I have verified the readings within 1-2 degrees with my probe. Works great as long as the tape is clean and dry. I also find many case fan motors out with a quick jog using the IR gun. (while not do maintenance with a velometer)

uei is not acceptable meters in this industry.
    Period!

You get what you pay for.

I have used the Raytek IR meter extensively and will match it against my Fluke within 2 degrees F.

You might say I just know where to use it and where not to.
    It takes patience and trial/ error experimenting.

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Originally posted by R12rules

I have used the Raytek IR meter extensively and will match it against my Fluke within 2 degrees F.

I agree with R12rules. Raytek IR meters are very accurate. BTW Raytek is a Fluke company.

I just got a new raytek gunb about a month or so ago. It is dead nuts on.

You got to spend some money to get a really good accurate one.

Those who oppose IR guns ... do you still use a 260 Simpson meter?
    (Because you do not trust digital electronics)

Do you use soap bubles from the kitchen sink at home?
    (because you do not trust electronic refrigerant sniffers)

Do you refuse to attach your gages to a sealed system which has schrader valves unless it's a last resort?
    (because you dont like to burn your fingers taking off the hi side hose .... all because you dont like to use those new fan-dangled brass no loss fittings on your hoses)

The list could go on ..... but the point of the matter is this:
    Lousey mechanics do lousey work and have so so tools and equipment.
    Fair mechanics have fair ...

Good mechanics have good ....

And last but not least ... great HVAC/R service mechanics never stop learning!
    The only reason they have the best tools is because they do NOT wish to be held back by either wrong techniques NOR inadequate tools/ equipment.

If I were the arrogant type ... I would have a bumper sticker which reads: "I use Fluke Meters ... eat my dust!"

I like the Fluke clamp on thermocouple for such things. Keep the IR device for checking grill temps. Also good to check the truck tires to see if one is underinflated. It runs hotter!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R12rules
    [B]Those who oppose IR guns ... do you still use a 260 Simpson meter?
    (Because you do not trust digital electronics)

I sure do use my Simpson analog meter a lot of the time.
    LOL Ever try to using a digital when it is 10 deg. on a rooftop????? Sooooooo Slooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

[Edited by rayr on 07-21-2005 at 05:38 PM]
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...