+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: all i wanted was a glass of water?!

Post Likes
    Not in any way. But she had to be crazy..a roofer?

If you spent your time cutting deals to good looking women around here.....you would be broke and tired.

Post Likes
    Yeah, they all have STD's too........
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Originally posted by James 3528
    No..I gave her a deal in a effort to restore trust in the trade.

Keep up the good work. You may be placed in nomination for this year's "Golden Gauges Award".

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Diceman
    Not sure what I would have done, probably sucked it up and fixed it adding on the A-Hole fee of course. Mainly because I would want to be done with it and not think about the jerk all weekend. He will always be a jerk, and if you let jerks get to ya it brings you down with them. When I was done I would have given him the bill and if offered the water said, no thanks, and I would never go back there.

Dice's advice is the best given. You do not want to be thinking about that customer all weekend.

What I would have done is answered him. "Oh, OK well I will be back when I can but I am going to go to the 7/11 and get the drink that I need." And then walk away. The choice then becomes his. If you have another customer good waiting, don't keep them waiting. Have the office call the customer back and cancel the appointment. Or get your drink go back add the extra charge and be done with them.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Post Likes
    And he just might be an full time 24/7 a$$hole. There is little need in kissing his ass to find out otherwise. He made his first impression and that is the one you run with. I don't care what kind of day he had...what his favorite color is, conducting a social experiment and none of that other crap. When it is near 99F there is plenty of appreciative customers out there. If you are in Vermont in August I guess you can hold hand s and take long walks in the park.
    James, if there was any doubt whatsoever in any of your existing or potential customers' minds of what you think about them, you have probably eliminated any possible confusion with this thread. I am sure the public that has access to this post really appreciates you letting them know that when it gets right down to it................you could care less about them as you have so eloquently stated in the above quote.

Open mouth................insert foot.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes

Hmm John Lloyd

Do you remember the statment from the customer? "When My A/C is fixed you'll get your water". I am a Man. I wouldn't let anyone talk to me like that. I am not a 2nd class citizen. I am really a nice guy, but I have my limits. I wouldn't treat my dog like that. If my wife heard me talk like that to someone, there would be a dry spell around here. If my father heard me talk like that to someone. Would he be Proud and say "Thats my son"!? Who needs Who more? Lowtemp should have never put himself in this position. If the customer was a decent guy, and I had to go the supply house to get the motor, I would at least put the lawn sprinkler on the condencing unit so the house would cool down.

Post Likes
    One of the most important abilities of a business man is to be able to quickly judge who to do business with and act on that judgement. That is one of the differences between a salesman and a business man.

There are some customers that really do deserve to being doing business with your competitors.

don

don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Post Likes
    Originally posted by John Lloyd
    And he just might be an full time 24/7 a$$hole. There is little need in kissing his ass to find out otherwise. He made his first impression and that is the one you run with. I don't care what kind of day he had...what his favorite color is, conducting a social experiment and none of that other crap. When it is near 99F there is plenty of appreciative customers out there. If you are in Vermont in August I guess you can hold hand s and take long walks in the park.
    James, if there was any doubt whatsoever in any of your existing or potential customers' minds of what you think about them, you have probably eliminated any possible confusion with this thread. I am sure the public that has access to this post really appreciates you letting them know that when it gets right down to it................you could care less about them as you have so eloquently stated in the above quote.

Open mouth................insert foot.
    Well John,,, what can I say? You start a thread referring to some of the members here as Idiots. One of the few I might add that got shut down

Gonna go out on a limb here! YOU guys that continue to post responses to tech / repair questions from the HOs are a bunch of IDIOTS! There, I said it!
    Then throw me under the bus for taking up for the Techs so you should pay close attention to what Mr. Sleeth just said .

Mr. Lloyd, I don't come here looking for customers because as per the forum design this is a place for Technicians, Owners and other Industry Professionals. I come here to preach and listen to the gospel of the HVAC trade from the Technician/Owners perspective because I do both successfully. I also learn some things along the way and have a good time.. Anyone that has been here for any length of time know I can shell the corn when it comes to communicating with a customer or sending money to another HVAC-talk member so he can try to save a old woman's piano. Let some air out of your head. I don't need you telling me what eloquence is.

Post Likes
    I don't need you telling me what eloquence is.

I don't need you telling me what is eloquence.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by benncool
    I don't need you telling me what eloquence is.

I don't need you telling me what is eloquence.

Post Likes

Smile

Take a deep breath. Lets calm down. It got to me too. I know Don and lusker are lurking. Roy

Post Likes
    Originally posted by oroy54
    Take a deep breath. Lets calm down. It got to me too. I know Don and lusker are lurking. Roy
    Originally posted by Don Sleeth
    One of the most important abilities of a business man is to be able to quickly judge who to do business with and act on that judgement. That is one of the differences between a salesman and a business man.

There are some customers that really do deserve to being doing business with your competitors.

don
    Roy

How did you know Don was around?

[Edited by James 3528 on 07-19-2005 at 05:58 PM]

Post Likes
    Sounds like two sides here:

The customer is god and can treat you dirt as long as you get the sale and they do business with you

There's a certain standard of behavior expectected in a civilized society ("mores or norms") and when those are violated there are "consequences". Like shunning or just plain telling people their behaviour is unacceptable.

I was thinking awhile back that rude people must think everyone is better than them. ie.- they break in line because they don't expect to get their butt kicked (figuratively or not), even though they would scream and dance about being cheated if the table was turned.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes

I would have checked the furnace though, and[u] pee'd in his laundry tub,[u] if I was really mad I may have added some quick dry cement in there too.........
    So is that like flushing and then adding quick dry cement.

What do ya do in sump pumps ah never mind on second thought I don't want to know

Post Likes
    [

Open mouth................insert foot. [/B]
    I think the point is that James doesn't cater to a-holes, why should he, if no one did, they would die and go away.
    In all honesty I ain't wild about a great majority of the general public either.
    All I know is James and me go way back, lots of north-south discussions, democrat-conservative fights, lots of goofing off and lotsa of just stuff. That being said I know where he comes from, and I respect it. I'm sure we have pissed each other over the years, but so what.
    He has posted on here many, many times about helping people, not charging them when they looked in need, helping out fellow vets, he seems to be the first one to donate to any cause in here when someone asks. I think if asked, he would help out no matter what the inconvience. And that's more important than putting up with some goof who won't give ya lousy drink of water.
    Not sure why nascar and that other shit got involved in this, sounds like someone with an ax to grind.

Post Likes
    Top 10 responses to: "I'll give you some water when you fix my A/C."
    10-So I guess a full body massage from the old lady of the house has to wait too.
    9-I ain't asking for a bottle of Dom here sport, just some regular frickin H20 and it doesn't even have to be cold.
    8-I thought Candid Camera went off the air?
    7-So homo's DO also get PMS, I always wondered bout dat.
    6-If I don't get some water you'll be drinking your own sweat all weekend(And I think he did).
    5-When did you mother disown you?
    4-If your wife cut you off, it ain't my fault.......well...wait...I take that back.
    3-If it rains, can I open my mouth and look up?
    2-Santa only brings presents to the good girls and boys.
    1-I have seen you somewhere before....where you possibly human in your previous life?

Post Likes
    I just remembered: About six years ago I built my dad a garage.The only thing I did not do was the concrete due to lack of time/proper tools.When the concrete guys showed up there was two dozen doughnuts,a pot of coffee,& a twelve pack of coke.My dad has a beautiful garage foundation that is absolutely flawless......It was not on mistake.I know that I try harder for customers that treat you well.So far I have noticed that 100% of the times I said it,it worked.I have told numerous customers right out-I CAN GO NOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE.I say it just a little loud but not yelling just loud enough to let them know I mean it.......So far every time the person backed down just a little or even alot & asked me to stay.
    Take your time & do it right!

Post Likes
    Top 10 responses to: "I'll give you some water when you fix my A/C."
    10-So I guess a full body massage from the old lady of the house has to wait too.
    9-I ain't asking for a bottle of Dom here sport, just some regular frickin H20 and it doesn't even have to be cold.
    8-I thought Candid Camera went off the air?
    7-So homo's DO also get PMS, I always wondered bout dat.
    6-If I don't get some water you'll be drinking your own sweat all weekend(And I think he did).
    5-When did you mother disown you?
    4-If your wife cut you off, it ain't my fault.......well...wait...I take that back.
    3-If it rains, can I open my mouth and look up?
    2-Santa only brings presents to the good girls and boys.
    1-I have seen you somewhere before....where you possibly human in your previous life?
    Hoohhohahaha.... Ya basturdly bastard.... I'm gonna get kicked outta my appartment...

Jeez... gotta change my depeneds.... damn! hehe... good work with little time. Letterman gets his stuff from you?

Oh, crap... gotta go... landlord is pounding on the door yelling at me to shut the hell up....

later.

HHOOOH
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes

I know how that would make you feel. But, don't you have to admit, that even though it was a jerk attitude on his part, he really didn't have any obligation to give you a drink of water?

I like going back and watching old movies sometimes. It is like it is a totally different movie. When I read this again back at the beginning and considering John's class he had with me while I was out actually dealing with customers today, http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...0&pagenumber=7 it validated what I said on the other page to him. Where is it written that it is our obligation to be abused and corrected by someone not in the arena. Should you just bow your head for the HVAC business owner at the golf course that wants you to put up with this crap so he can make a dollar? Or by someone in a clean white shirt that sits in a air-conditioned office all day telling the technician with sweat in his eyes to do the same?

None of us would put up with the cashier at Wal Mart treating us this way if we were the customer spending money there nor would Wal Mart put up with the cashier. But somehow in this case a exception was expected to be made and a human being was expected by some here to be treated with less respect than this guy.... as I have already stated, would treat his dog. A dollar ain't worth that shit.

This was my first reply with out giving a psychology class to lowtemp.
    I would have just left and not went back but made sure he knew why I was not.
    [Edited by James 3528 on 07-20-2005 at 12:35 AM]

Post Likes
    John L., with all due respect I cannot believe you have actually worked with the public as a technician. Any one who utters the words; "you can have a drink of water when I have air conditioning", no longer deserves the respect of anyone.

I like Dice's responces and his top ten list. I would like to add one; "Tell you what pal...keep your water and call someone else. You are not worth my time or energy and some of my competitors deserve people like you."
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in