Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    This thread is really starting to get legs, North vs South, whats right/wrong, people skills, etc. I dont think it can outlast the 9mm, but hey who knows? I cant wait to hear whether he went back today and took care of this guy, and if so the guys attitude after roasting all weekend.

Put me in the column with most everyone else. I would have let him suffer all weekend, went back today with the motor and soaked him so he wont call me back. There are some people you dont need or want as customers, the trick is knowing when to pass.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Re: James

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by oroy54
    Why do our own people in the U.S. not like us southern boys?, I have seen it on this site and other places. When the red head wife and I go on vacation we want to go north. Has there become a time to divide the north from the south again, and Why?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It could be worse. You could be from West Virginia or from Newfoundland Canada. They seem to be the butt of quite a few "stupid" jokes

As a homeowner, I couldn't imagine treating a tradesman this way. Over a month ago I called Rescue Rooter to run their machine down our sewer line (my turd chasing days are over if I can help it). They sent a kid barely out of high school...clean cut but I could tell he was hot and tired by the time he got to me, on a Sunday afternoon at that. I immediately offered him a tall glass of ice water which he graciously accepted.

I was once in his shoes...young in the trade and in years and not always prepared with H20 or other means of rehydration in the truck. I never had a homeowner refuse water the few times I asked for it.

Never crossed my mind that if things didn't go well to hold the water offer over the kid's head...he's a fellow human being that was thirsty, and I wanted him at his best for what he was being paid.

As for what I would've done had I been the one being refused water from the homeowner, I'd be sorely tempted to say, "Fine, I'll just drink from the garden hose after I wash out your coil." If he got upset about that after hearing I was going to go beyond just swapping out a condenser motor, well, he proved himself to me beyond all reasonable doubt to be a dick. I'd do the repair, collect my pay, and get the flock out of there (without washing the coil). And give the office a head's up that this is one customer not worth repeat business.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Yea, cant forget them Canuuuuuks now can we, ey
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Originally posted by lakeman1234

quote:
    Why do our own people in the U.S. not like us southern boys?, I have seen it on this site and other places. When the red head wife and I go on vacation we want to go north. Has there become a time to divide the north from the south again, and Why?
    It could be worse. You could be from West Virginia or from Newfoundland Canada. They seem to be the butt of quite a few "stupid" jokes
    You are right! And ya know something. Most of us old timers here on H-talk have fun with it. Benny in Vermont, Dice and Dave in Penn,Don with his goofy Canadian shoes. We all keep it civil and have a laugh. It's all fun and games then someone comes along that didn't get a cherry on their Daiquiri last night.

[Edited by James 3528 on 07-18-2005 at 05:47 PM]

Originally posted by senior tech
    Carry water...yes...but...What you did was walk away from the beginning of a very bad company/customer relationship. Alot on here value the money more than anything, I on the other hand think there is more than enough $$$ to go around without having to sacrifice my principles and be dis-respected by a total a$$hole. Had you submitted and put the motor on believe me...the moaning would have commenced, "I can buy the motor for $39 at hvacr's are us!" would have been the first words outta his mouth even though he knew the price beforehand.
    You see, I figure it this way, 1 out 50 customers will be total creeps...I can make enough from the good, respectful customers that quite frankly, I don't give a rats a$$ if these type ever call!
    Basically, respect the relationship... I feel exactly the way you do, early on I tried my damndest to turn over every "bad" customer and it's just not worth it. Let them be a pain-in-the-ass to somebody else cause I've had my fill.

Originally posted by lakeman1234

quote:
    And when it is all said and done...we are all Americans and some us have paid more than lip service protecting America......and Canada cause they are too cheap to do it.

Smile James

Norm told us not to use "And" very much.

Norm told us not to use "And" very much.
    I love you man.

In a manly way

Originally posted by NormChris

The HVAC technicians who think that fixing things is the meaning of service don't understand the real meaning of service. We are actually in the people business. If it were not for the customer the AC and heating business would not exist. Gaining the trust of the customer is paramount to service.

its not the customers that make our business.Its the fact we live on a planet that goes from one extreme weather condition to another(hot and cold).thats what makes our business exist. the customer has no choice but to join in. Oh and by the way i went back today and replaced the condenser fan motor and marked it up 200% instead of our usual 100%.He didnt even flinch at the price.

Smile lowtemp

Look what you have started. Just drink out of the water hose next time. It's right over there by the dog's bowl. Don't drive over the hose on you way out. I'll be inside the house watching you. It's cold in here, he set the thermostat to low. Some people are a**holes. It is a wonder that they are married. As for me I try to live happily ever after. Fu*k Um. Roy

I say if the guy isn't smart enough to fix the thing for himself, then he better darn well tend to the needs of the guy who can. As for me, without a word, I would've got in my truck and left.

I started a job where we'll be here for a couple of weeks replacing two complete units and installing a zone system on one of them. The last thing the homeowner said...

"There's plenty of bottled water in the fridge, and I'll replenish it when it gets low. I know it gets hot."

Thank you.

Get back to work.™

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast