Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

One of the failures of our technical schools is the failure to teach customer service skills!!!!

Originally posted by NormChris

I just can't agree with you James. I can take the occasional customer who is just impossible in exchange for those who see the error of their ways later and become good customers as well as walking billboards recommending the company I represent.

Too many people these days have the mindset that they have rights that cannot be walked upon, ever. Yes, I have my limits just like anyone else. But, it is amazing how you can turn some people around by treating them with respect when they have just walked all over you. No, it does not always work but at least if I am fair and gave it an honest attempt I can walk away feeling I did the right thing. [/B]

As I said already Norm. At close to 99F ..there is little time for social experiments to create a walking billboard..This was not the occasional customer, this was the occasional A-hole. What is there now, about 7 billion people on the planet? What is so important about saving this one? We are not talking about a missed opportunity to inform a customer and create a lasting bond based on professionalism...we are talking about a flaming a$$hole that has identified himself as such. There is just less than a inch that separates a chicken sandwich from chicken ****. That is also something they don't teach in Tech School.

Just a few more words is all it would have taken to determine what this customer is really made of. That is the art that more technicians need to develop. It is not all that difficult and only takes a moment.

I think what Norm is meaning to say is you kill them with absolute kindness. First, it gives you the satisfaction of creating a situation where they want to continue, but they are fighting themselves because they can not, being you are talking in a low tone and respectful to them. It eats them up.

Secondly, he will realize his actions were wrong, or he will not. If they come around, usually they can not apologize enough times to you, and if they are a decent person, they will pass your name along knowing you stayed professional when you did not have to.

We all would want to lash out, and you never know when that may be depending on how tired we ourselves are at that time. Just remember, when we let ourselves get worked up, it only takes our minds off the job and energy from us when we are the ones who need to pay attention so we do not get hurt while working.

It is a mental chess game of the minds in a situation like this.

Yes..that is part of what I was saying..there is no need to get worked up. There are plenty of appreciative customers out there that you don't need to play mind games with. I can just about walk into every room in my house and pick up something a customers has given me over and above a check. I have a farm bell out back on a poll down to a magnifying glass. I have a Pepsi cola refrigerator at my outdoor bar. All things given to me by appreciative customers that are walking billboards. I have thermostat stickers and unit stickers and at some houses I don't waste my time putting them on. There are some customers you just don't want.

I would have told him you had to go get the motor at the shop(we charge door to door).Then I would have went to the shop filled my water jug from the ice machine*perk*& had a nice full jug of ice cold water at his cost about $95.00.I would have made the repair & broke one off in his a$$ to boot lol.In the twenty years I have been doing this I only had two jerks not let me use the restroom.......It cost them you bet!
    Take your time & do it right!

Originally posted by dec
    Well I definately would not have said I didnt have the motor no matter how he acted. Know if I wanted to charge him a little more for acting like an ass but making an extra trip when I dont need to is not my style. Now if he called again for another call, then I might think twice about showing up right away. What goes around comes around and if he is going to act that way he does not go to the front of the good customer list, I get to him when I can.
    Dec and I are on the same page in our outlook about this situation. The HO owes you nothing when you are working in their home. If it is a service call you should use the restroom at the 7/11 before you get to the call.

If it is cold out your don't ask the home owner if you can use a pair of boots or another hat. You are suppose to supply that stuff. When it is hot and humid all of our techs fill up thier water jugs before leaving in the morning. An in shop ice machine is provided.

If thier is a retrofit in a house then it should be understood before hand that a restroom will have to be provided for the installation crew. If that is not acceptable then the cost of a portajohn would have to be added to the contract. Under such circumstances , 99% of the time a customer will let you use their bathroom. But you have to be prepared for the 1% jerk.

Most people are nice. When you run into the occasional A-hole then you can't let them ruin your entire day. I like what the old butchers used to say "put your finger on the scale"

I Guess That Makes Me A Doormat

I personally pride myself into not letting people piss me off. That situation would have totally pissed me off and I would have been sorely tempted to display my anger.

However I guess I would side with John Lloyd because I still would have placed customer service first ahead of my own feelings.

So I guess that makes me a doormat.

And I guess I am way too pure and innocent for this world.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

I guess it is normal generalizing what we would do with out having been there.

Benncool said

If it is cold out your don't ask the home owner if you can use a pair of boots or another hat.
    Very good point if you forgot to get dressed. But when it is rude out, I will take appropriate measures to make sure I am protected against that also. There may be a culture thing working here also that I bet I can get a witness here to. When I go to a typical Southerners home I am offered water or asked is there anything I need. I do the same when I have a house painter here or anyone else working. In fact I go buy water and Gatorade and put it in my outside refrigerator for them. I am not saying this is how it is in all cases but statistically from what I have seen in my area and it has a huge influx of retired and transplanted Northerners here,.....they would watch you die in the sun and then bit*h about it. [img]http://firearmfanatics.com/forum/images/smiles/*****.gif[/img]

[Edited by James 3528 on 07-18-2005 at 01:05 PM]

Every household is different James. I have had offers of coffee and cookies. Beer and soda. Even lunch. from some customers.

Some millionaires say the key is under the mat let yourself in. While some mobile home residents must be there every second that you are there to make sure you don't mess with their 'Elvis on black velvet' wall hangings.

Like I said before that 99% of people are okay. It is that 1% that can rattle your cage.

There is just less than a inch that separates a chicken sandwich from chicken ****. That is also something they don't teach in Tech School.
    ------------------------------------------------------

oooooppps ---lets not get carried away now. Out here in Cali they teach you all about chickens and chicken $**T

Thats what we have Big Bird for

we even learned the difference between $**T and Shineola

Since I cannot disagree with the way any of the posters here feel, I guess it is a matter of to what degree of jackass you can handle at any particular time.

I am not good enough at holding my temper to take Norm's advice to better "feel the customer" out. If I ask for a glass of water it is because I need a glass of water. If I am refused that glass of water there is nothing that any further conversation is going to accomplish other then increasing my aggravation over being treated subserviently. Like James stated, a dog would not be left thirsty by anyone other then a sadistic bastard.

I have walked away from customers for various reasons. I have told customers that I am walking away because I don't like the way they are treating me as a person. I have also bit my tongue and made up for aggravation of mistreatment with higher then normal billing. Is is right to do so? I am not about to get into what is right or wrong for individual personalities in particular incidences. What I will say is that I am not going to be bullied or treated badly without retrobution. I am certain that the ignorant customers have to pay for their attitudes many times over in life.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I would have just left when they refused a glass of water.

I probably would have had a cooler full of cold drinks in my truck tho.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast