Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by lowtemp
    At a no AC call friday. The customer seemed friendly at first(he was a new customer).I diagnosed problem quickly as a bad condenser fan motor. I happened to have one in my truck. Before i went to get it i decided to ask for a glass of water first,it was 92F outside. He looked at me in disgust and said"you'll get your water after my AC is running!' I just looked at him in shock. At this point he didnt know i had the motor in my truck. So i said" The condenser fan motor is burnt out and unfortunately i wont have one until monday" He was pissed and i left. I felt good of what i did and felt it was justified. Any thoughts?

When it's hot and humid I have many customers that go out of their way to offer a drink of water or pop because they are glad that you are there to help them.

Obviously this customer was a complete moron or worse.

In all honesty you screwed yourself because you have to go back there and it's going to cost you time and money to drive there.

I think I would have fixed it then and there and possibly added about a $20.00 jerk off customer fee on top of it somehow and been done with him.

John is also right though, he does not owe us a drink of water or a pop, we should already have that with us just like our tools.

Years ago, when I was still a hot head, if I was in that situation I propbably would have done the same thing you did...........but now I really recognize the fact that time is money and we need to move on to the next call.

I really can't fault you for what you did though, it sucks being out there in the heat working on someones POS.

I hope you collected your service fee in case he decided to call the competition after you had diagnosed the problem.

Thats why I never ask a customer for anything. I don't ask to use their bathrooms and don't ask for anything to drink. When they offer, I decline, everytime. That way I don't feel bad if I have to ask them to take a flying hike.

Hopefullly you didn't go back. He would have never seen or heard from me again. Some people are just *******s and they don't necessarily have to be customers either. They walk the streets in abundance everyday.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I think I would have done the same as Lowtemp in his situation.

After allot of thought I still would have done it just a little different, I would have said to the customer "I will be right back one of the other techs nearby 15 mins away has a motor in his truck that may fit your unit then it would be off to the seven eleven and got a nice cold slurpee return to site drinking the slurpee then jump out of the truck go slam the jackasses precious motor in get the ac working ding him a special price for the motor make up the bill in the truck taking sips on the slurpee and present the jackass with a nice bill cod baby and be sure to have the slurpee in one hand while collecting the cheque. HAH!
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I agree with trying to not have to ask a HO for anything, but when you do need something you deserve to be treated like a human being and not a lowlife servant. I'm with lowtemp on how he handled this as long as he intends on charging this arrogant bastard for going to the supply house to pick up the motor along with mileage and that ignorant a-hole charge someone else mentioned.

Anyone can treat me badly but if I can charge for inconvenience you'd best believe it is not going to be cheap.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Well I definately would not have said I didnt have the motor no matter how he acted. Know if I wanted to charge him a little more for acting like an ass but making an extra trip when I dont need to is not my style. Now if he called again for another call, then I might think twice about showing up right away. What goes around comes around and if he is going to act that way he does not go to the front of the good customer list, I get to him when I can.

I had my driveway re-paved a month ago. They said they'd be there on the Friday in the afternoon. It was 85F and by 2 o'clock I assumed they had packed it in for the heat.

Out of the blue, medium weight machinery headed our way. They did my neighbour's 2 doors up first and then headed down to prep ours. Next thing I knew there were 6 guys with a Barbergreen machine, tampers, and a roller crawling all over our driveway. One or two had water with them that I saw.

Without even asking I went downstairs and grabbed up 6 bottles of water out of the basement fridge. They took a short break, I answered a couple of a/c questions, but most of all it was appreciated.

These guys had been outside working with ashphalt all day long and a bottle of water and a little respect brought a smile to their faces on a Friday afternoon.

I know what it's like to be overwhelmed by weather/work. It's nice to know someone appreciates your efforts.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I would have said something like this;

"Sir, I realize you are hot and really want and need your AC repaired. I am even hotter. You see sir, I go from one broken AC system to the next often working in the sun or on very hot roofs. Heat stroke is a concern for those of us who are in this business. I would be glad to service you system and will do just that as that is the business I am in."

"I have the motor in my van and will get right to work as soon as I get a drink. I really need to keep hydrated. I am sure you understand."

Then I would allow him to respond. His response would dictate what I would do next. I was a reserve police officer and I learned long ago that your mouth is your most valued weapon. Many, no, most things can be taken care of according to how you use you mouth. I have seen some amazing and dangerous situtations taken care of by some very wise officers. Situtations that could have easily turned very violent very quickly.

This does not always work but at least you would have done the right thing and told the truth in the process.

Norm

Just get your stuff and go. No need to let a home owner make you manufacture lies or get into a pissing contest with them.That makes you no better than them. There is easier money just down the street and a better person with cold water.

Just as your customer may not understand how much you need water, you don't know what kind of a day your customer had. Perhaps he just had an upsetting phone call, you just don't know.

For all you know you could have converted an upset customer into a walking billboard for you and your company. How you handle these situtations can in many cases cause a customer who was just have a poor moment turn into the guy who recommends you to all his friends and neighbors.

If it does not turn out that way. No big deal. Just do what is right and go on to the next customer. All it takes is one of these types of customers to bring in more customers or in one case I personally experienced land me a nice commercial account. Just in the way I treated an upset residential customer.

And he just might be an full time 24/7 a$$hole. There is little need in kissing his ass to find out otherwise. He made his first impression and that is the one you run with. I don't care what kind of day he had...what his favorite color is, conducting a social experiment and none of that other crap. When it is near 99F there is plenty of appreciative customers out there. If you are in Vermont in August I guess you can hold hand s and take long walks in the park.

The HVAC technicians who think that fixing things is the meaning of service don't understand the real meaning of service. We are actually in the people business. If it were not for the customer the AC and heating business would not exist. Gaining the trust of the customer is paramount to service.

Customers don't have any idea of how good you actually are or how much you know. They don't appreciate what it takes to learn this business. But, they judge us on on how we treat them even if they don't respond in like kind.

Makes sense...first one that can't give a guy water that he would have laying out for a dog...should be treated no better than a dog....but since you can't do things like that, I would suggest leaving. Just to keep the customer/service tech relationship in tact with the good customers..

Originally posted by James 3528
    And he just might be an full time 24/7 a$$hole. There is little need in kissing his ass to find out otherwise. He made his first impression and that is the one you run with. I don't care what kind of day he had...what his favorite color is, conducting a social experiment and none of that other crap. When it is near 99F there is plenty of appreciative customers out there. If you are in Vermont in August I guess you can hold hand s and take long walks in the park.
    I just can't agree with you James. I can take the occasional customer who is just impossible in exchange for those who see the error of their ways later and become good customers as well as walking billboards recommending the company I represent.

Too many people these days have the mindset that they have rights that cannot be walked upon, ever. Yes, I have my limits just like anyone else. But, it is amazing how you can turn some people around by treating them with respect when they have just walked all over you. No, it does not always work but at least if I am fair and gave it an honest attempt I can walk away feeling I did the right thing.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast