Thread: Fluke Thermometer

Post Likes
    Any suggestions on how to best use a Type-K bead thermocouple to measure temp on a sweaty pipe?

I'm trying to use on my vehicle, but figure you've got a similar issue trying to measure the HVAC lines. Chrysler manual says to use a Clamp-On Thermocouple, but i'm too lazy to go looking for another expensive gadget, so I want to use my plain vanilla general purpose bead probe.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Post Likes
    Try a velcro strap used to hold wires together.

Its a shame you dont consider your tools more important to your career. Imagine if the guy working on your service van didnt have a torque wrench when he put your front end back together and was content using his vice grips.

Post Likes
    Clamp it on with a small plastic wire tie and do not worry about a little sweat, my ole grandad used to tell me that a man should earn his living by the sweat of his brow LOL. Please get me some excerpts of how the the Chrysler folks recommend taking the readings. I am especially interested in the blower setting/engine RPM/added airflow such as a fan for the condensor/windows down etc when the superheat reading are taken. MVAC systems have variable speed cycling compressor/variable blower and condensor airflows plus extreme operating conditions (idling on 135 degree pavement in full sun with a red hot engine underhood) Is this a TXV type or fixed orfice system? Its a dang wonder that the things work at all.
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

Post Likes
    didnt a guy named "mira" post something about using a clothes pin? try a search for "mira" but it must be said that a service tech. needs to have the right tools for the job. the analogy docholliday used about the torque wrench is spot on.
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Post Likes
    ThX, I'll try the velcro and/or wire ties.

Chrysler service manual settings for taking reading:
    - RPM @ 1500
    - Blower on Full
    - Windows down
    - Set on Recirculate

This is on a fixed orifice system, and yes the dynamics are a bit different than HVAC.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in