Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks a lot. There is filter dryer next to sight glass, but none of them said he intend to replace it. No, lines are not exposed to attic, as they do not go to attic. There is no attic in the house. They go from the ground to the basement than to the closet on the second floor. I would like to have knowledgeable guy who will come and say problem is this one and will cost to repair that much which is guaranteed. But in real world some folks are not like that in any business. I guess they are not a pro then...

I am now curious how to say superheat and subcooling if I know high and low pressures? Am I right if I say I can figure out superheat and subcooling if I know hi/low pressures and temperatures of lines? Or condenser and evaporator? Then maybe by r22 boiling point I can figure it out. I suspect it is pressure-temperature relationship for particular freon (r22 in our case). Right? I do not remember much from thermodynamics from college course. Only know superheated relates to vapor, means low pressure line temperature/pressure and subcooled relates to liquid, high pressure line in our case. Right?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    [B]after rereading your post i am wondering how long has this been happening. my reason for asking is two folded.

>>>I suspect since I bought the house about ten years ago. I can not say for sure, as it was never efficient, but only now I started to check it because it is too hot and I am at home during the day searching for work on my PC.

first if this has been going on since day one witch i have seen on a few ocassions. the installer when installing the txv did not remove the scharder valve for the equaliizer port. there for the valve is not able to operate properly.
    i have had a few units that were about 10 to fifteen years old and picked up on this during a preseason.
    high side and low side go up and down equal distant at the same time.

>>> How to check this? I mean if it was dano correctly or not done etc. Also, if I remember correctly, only one side goes up/down, but do not remember which one. But I may be wrong, I have to check or call somebody to check etc.

or the txv is defective. noncondensable after this lenth of time is not very likely.

>>> Not sure what time. Many people may have toched charged/recovered this system over the years. I have no clues.

this is just a guess and not a very likely one either

>>> Still have to be checked somehow if we ever come to dead end with diagnostics. Thanks for the idea. Appreciated.

I agree with beenthere, It sounds like noncondensebles in your system,recover gas, pull good deep vacuum and change out driers and fill with virgin gas.

Thanks, so it looks most agreed like possible solution would not be expensive and I will go for it. It seems chances are great.

Originally posted by jim_6262
    Thanks a lot. I am now curious how to say superheat and subcooling if I know high and low pressures? Am I right if I say I can figure out superheat and subcooling if I know hi/low pressures and temperatures of lines? Or condenser and evaporator? Then maybe by r22 boiling point I can figure it out. I suspect it is pressure-temperature relationship for particular freon (r22 in our case). Right? I do not remember much from thermodynamics from college course. Only know superheated relates to vapor, means low pressure line temperature/pressure and subcooled relates to liquid, high pressure line in our case. Right?

Yes you have the idea...
    Super heat is the difference between low pressure(read as a temperture)and the temperture of the suction line.
    Subcool is the difference between high pressure and the temperture of the liquid line.
    The only way to diagnose is to have accurate readings
    Your other post did not specify liquid line temperture,only"was not warm".

You are about half way there...keep going.

[I would like to have knowledgeable guy who will come and say problem is this one and will cost to repair that much which is guaranteed. But in real world some folks are not like that in any business. I guess they are not a pro then... ]

Good luck on finding a pro that will guarantee your 20+ year old unit runs like new. How long of a guarantee are you looking for?

When you go to the doctor, first he does is diagnose the problem. Then he fixes it. Just imagine the following. You come to the doc. He say I do not know what is happening with you, but lets have a surgery and take this medications. If won't help, we well try different one and cut in different place to see maybe something there... And you pay for every visit, every medication, every surgery.No insurance coverage. How would you feel about this aproach? First is diagnostic. We need to know what is wrong. How much it cost to repair with only results possible: problem was repaired! Nobody expects doc will give garantee how long you wil live, but problem should be fixed if diagnosed correctly. Am I right or what? If one can't say what is wrong and try to replace here and there, he is not the doc you want. It may take forever and cost many times new unit cost. I am just surprised some folks do not understand this. They have to imagine yourself comming to doctor, mechanic or anyone and hear back: I do not know what is wrong, but let's do this....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12