Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Go down to the local Marina and buy a "shaft Zinc" the size of the suction line going into the compressor. Install the shaft zinc on that line just as it comes out of the accumulator.

The zinc will become sacrificial, just as it does in a boat. Like an annode rod in a water heater. It will squelch the accelerated oxidation.

13 bucks.... if I'm wrong ..so what.

Cal-Shield looks interesting. Lowe's has a new Dupont pure teflon spray that appears similar and has been amazing in my experience. I had inoperable deadbolt locks and a spray had them working like new. I would think that this would be a good coating to repel salt air.

Shaft zinc sounds promising. Has anyone else tried this approach?

I'll do a bronzeglo search.

[Edited by DaveN on 07-18-2005 at 08:47 AM]

Need to have Herosite coating.

Most of the aftermarket coatings that were applied to coils in Cayman did very little to retard corrosion.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I have zero faith in field applied coatings.

Heresite is good as long as the coil is dipped in a vat then baked on before the coil is installed.

Then you hope the heresite does not get chipped.

The Bronzglo photos were from some older TRANE chillers, I think 7 and 10 years service.

We looked at some 3 year old Carrier Chillers with field applied heresite and they looked worse than the 10 year old chiller with BronzGlow
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Those Carriers were a mess, but, with all due respect to Carrier we do suspect they were immersed in salt water.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

again, I hae yet to see anything hold up well at all in costal applications. There is a coastal unit made in Florida (or was) that uses an all aluminum, paralell flow coil that looks on the outside like a radiator. It is automotive technology used for condesners in autos. The fins are metalergicly bonded to the flat tubes and coated with a sacrificial zinc. Imagine taxi cabs in Cleveland near the great lakes where salt is poured on the streets like its going out of style. Rarely do they corrode.

The secret would be an ocasional rinse. Maybe a mister on a timer and the use of a shaft zinc will just about give you the same benefit. Remember it needs to be wet to be effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12