We have an offer on another house (crawl space) which is six years old. It has two heat pumps and they look like Goodman but I did not search long enough for the equipment tag. We have the right to inspection and will be using an ASHA certified house inspector.

As far as the HVAC system is this good enough? Or should I have a local HVAC company come in and give me a state of the state on the system?

Are there anyother things that I need to do to ensure I am not buying a white elephant?

Thanks

The inspector uses thermometers to test the temp drop or rise across the coils. This will give a good indication as to the system performance and the fact that it works. I think i would have a HVAC professional give the system a once over to look for water leaks ect that the inspecor may miss.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Home inspectors, even certified, are next to worthless when it comes to actually knowing anything about HVAC systems and equipment.

Have an HVAC professional inspect your HVAC system.

Seth, I just read your profile. I can tell you now that you already know more about HVAC than 90% of the home inspectors.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd call an HVAC contractor,but make a list of what you want checked.Charge,air flow ,coil condition,,Proper sizing of the system,etc..

Thanks NormChris

You wrote:
    "Seth, I just read your profile. I can tell you now that you already know more about HVAC than 90% of the home inspectors"

And I am writing:

Thanks to you pros.who are willing to talk to a home owner on this forum. I know much more today than a year or so ago. I have a whole new respect for the HVAC professional.

seth

Normally, I recommend that if an HVAC system is over 10 years old, to have it replaced as part of the 'offer'when buying a new home. You can upgrade seer, if necessary, and have it financed with the home loan. Maybe the seller can or will pay part.

I'm with Chris on this one. Call someone to check your complete system, heating and cooling cycle.

Hey West

are you buying up here? (north)

What I am doing....

Not moving up north too cold for an old southern boy like me.

We are selling our house in the metro burbs and moving to a lake house near S.C. Going from an area with 800,000 people to a county with 20,000. Way too much crime in the metro Atlanta area. TV news is depressing everday murders etc etc. There are 2000 gang members in 275 gangs.

I will say there are many places up North I have traveled too that I like alot. Even New York City is a blast to visit.

Thanks for everyone's help. I am either retired or unemployed. Will probably go back to work once we get moved and situated and all. And after I see if there is fish in the lake.

going to hartwell huh?

I don't blame you but I have been here almost 30 years... it would be a shame to leave now...

best of luck...