Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb

Hello,

I'd like to hear from anyone with experiences good or bad on the "Z-coil" evaporator or any of the products listed on heatpipe.com.

It seems like the theory behind the products is true but how much better are the z-coils at humidity reduction over a standard txv coil? Is the quality as good as standard coils? Here in Houston, TX the humidity is the issue you have to deal with most of the year.

My particular interest is in the residential evaporator coils for the 'free' humidity lowering via heat pipe.

Thanks in advance.

txun

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Be sure to account for the Pressure Drop when adding the Z-coils.Most residential existing duct systems already have a high ESP.

I like the heat pipe products. I would put one in my own home.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

carnak.

We might be doing some a/c work at a museum soon, would you recommend them as the only dehumidifing, or putting in commercial ducted dehumidifiers also.

Because of the lighting load, they'll need a/c about 9 monthes of the year.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think you would want a dedicated dehumidifier for that, not something that increases how much moisture the AC removes.

I am just starting to layout a new library, heat pipe has larger commercial dehumidifiers that I will be looking at. I used them at a document archive before with good results.

Try catching teddy bears attention too, he lives for dehumidifiers.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Heatpipe Technology makes a dedicated line of stand alone dehumidifies as well as the "Z-coil" line of products. I have installed both, and while pricy compared to standard equipment, there is nothing else in the market that touches the dehumidifing abilities for the cost.

My first intallation was a "custom z-coil" made to heat a spa and swimming pool in Ocala, Florida 18 years ago. The system is still in place and working today. Since that time I have installed about 50 Heatpipe "z-coils" and other than a small pan problem 12 years ago (the galzined drain pans rusted out) which has since been dealt with by switching to the stainless pans they have now. I have not had to make a single warrenty call because of the equipment, not even on the older Air Handler sections which were made by Luxaire under the specs of Dihn Enterprises. (the original name of the manufacture.)
    Most of the time it's not what you know, It's knowing where to find it!

Thanks carnak, and bldgcode1.

The lighting load during the day is enough that the humidity isn't a problem, but at when their closed it rises.

I have been thinkig about the commercial units ultra air has.
    The museum doesn't mind spending the money, as long as it works.
    Contractor locator map

Arrow

http://www.heatpipe.com/mktg_materia...es/BKP2003.pdf

These remove about 100 to 1250 pounds of moisture per day

They have optional remote condensers to dump heat outside when desired.

[Edited by Carnak on 07-18-2005 at 11:27 AM]

Heat Pipes increase latent (moisture) and decrease the SEER (btus/kw). Setting up an a/c to control latent load at 80% of peak load does not require heat pipes. This provides highest SEER. Heat pipes while lower the SEER while over drying during during high cooling loads. That's no all bad. The investment is substantial and is as much as a whole system dehumidifier like Ultra-Aire. The biggest problem with the heat pipe is that no cooling means no moisture removal. Dehumidifiers allow humidity control without any cooling. Maintaining <50%RH at +80^F or -70^F inside with cooling load provides more flexibility.
    Heat pipe dehumidifiers are well made and much more effecient than regular evaporater dehus by 50%. The T-stor dehus are more efficient than heat pipes dehus by 20% and not as expensive.

The Z-coils are well matched up for specified seer ratings with the ARI.

Perhaps a small dedicated dehumidifier would be more efficient at removing moisture than a greatly enhanced Air Conditioner such as the Z-coil, but you are not comparing apples to apples.

How do your commerical units stack up against the link I posted?

Originally posted by Carnak
    The Z-coils are well matched up for specified seer ratings with the ARI.

Perhaps a small dedicated dehumidifier would be more efficient at removing moisture than a greatly enhanced Air Conditioner such as the Z-coil, but you are not comparing apples to apples.

How do your commerical units stack up against the link I posted?
    It's difficult to accurately compare dehus to latent cooling enhanced a/c. My point was that dehumidifiers provide a non-cooling method of humidity control for low cooling load and unoccupied conditions. Reducing electrical useage is improved by being able to setup the t-stat when the structure in unoccupied for an extended time like +10 hours per day. The UA/SF units are more refined, more compact, easier to adapt to a central a/c, and more eff the HP models.
    In their web site, the 4 pint per hour HP unit requires a 16 minimum amp circut using "850 watts normal operation" (undefined) 4 pints per hour or about 4.7 pints/KW.
    Ultra-Aire lists 6.8 amps, 4 pints per hour or 5.7 pints/kw @ 80^F, 60%RH with a minimum 10 amp circut. I tested the HP dehu and got less than 4 pints/KW @ 80^F, 60%RH. Although less than ours, HP is the best competitive unit I have tested. The heat pipe dehu is well made, durable but expensive (abouts +50-100% more) compared UA/SF.

I have only used the 250 and 750 Heat pipe models, but I believe the blowers are rated for about 0.5" external static and they come with pleated filters.

I also know that your models are available with good filtration even HEPA which would add to blower power.

The heat pipe ones are suitable for their own duct work. I noticed your comment concerning adaptation to a central AC system. The point I am after is perhaps the HP one has a more powerful blower given that is is designed for a commercial application, where as yours may use less blower power being designed for a residential application.

On small equipment, the power used by a blower can have a significant effect. Sort of like using an ECM AHU with a condensing a condensing unit to nudge the SEER up, by reducing blower motor power rather than using a larger condenser coil and a more effcient compressor.

Now I gotta study all this and make a decision on which way to go.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast