Thread: txv vs humidity

Simple question, probably the answer isn't as simple.

If you have two almost identical systems, and the difference is that one has a TXV valve, which system will remove more humidity from the air? Or does it make no difference?

If both are properly charged under same conditions they will be very close but under all conditions txv might have slight advantage

Also depends on air flow .but you did say same which that is what i thought

Moisture removal depends upon coil temperature, coil surface area and airflow rate. Plus, compressor cycling and running time. The metering device has nothing to do with it.

All other considerations being the same, a TXV metered system will remove humidity better by keeping the evaporator coil colder.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    All other considerations being the same, a TXV metered system will remove humidity better by keeping the evaporator coil colder.
    Colder or fully flooded?

BTW, I burned the disk I promised you but have not gotten to the post office with it.

Norm

If the coil is kept colder, wouldn't that make the TXV system less efficient?

My question is if with both metering devices you have same superheat and same compressor as was said and of course same BTU output ,same airflow they would be same humidity removall considering the coil is the same temperatures

Often under cooler outdoor conditions, expecially if warm & humid inside, a fixed orifice system can have very high superheat and be properly charged. Superheats upwards of 30 degrees can be normal these days. If you have 45 degree entering refrigerant, that means that part to 1/2 of your coil could well be above the dewpoint and not dehumidifying. But the same system with a TXV will run around 15 degrees superheat and have a much colder coil. That's a more efficient use of refrigerant.

Bama.
    A txv will attempt to manitain the same superheat under all load circuimstances.
    A pistons superheat will change as the load changes. So you wouldn't have the same superheat for both devices for the full run cycle.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Often under cooler outdoor conditions, expecially if warm & humid inside, a fixed orifice system can have very high superheat and be properly charged. Superheats upwards of 30 degrees can be normal these days. If you have 45 degree entering refrigerant, that means that part to 1/2 of your coil could well be above the dewpoint and not dehumidifying. But the same system with a TXV will run around 15 degrees superheat and have a much colder coil. That's a more efficient use of refrigerant.

You are right Loonie. Thanks and well stated.

Norm

thanks for the answers

I want to thank you all for the lively discussion of the subject - especially Loonie - a name I have come to really respect on this forum.

The question was asked because on another forum, someone accused me of being a moron because I stated that a system with a TXV would do a better job of removing humidity. I may be a moron, but I was pretty sure that particular statement was not the smoking gun.

thanks again.
    Paul

Originally posted by NormChris
    Colder or fully flooded?

BTW, I burned the disk I promised you but have not gotten to the post office with it.

Norm
    Fully flooded is more accurate. Being fully flooded the coil maintains being colder over a fuller range of the coil which is what I am referring to as being colder. The main point is that more of the coil surface is below dew point temperature for a longer period of operational time.

Of course, Baldy did say it better.

Colder coils in of themselves are not less efficient. Smaller coils that are caused to evaporate more refrigerant quicker become colder and are less efficient, but still do a better job dehumidifying. Less humidity equals more comfort at higher temperatures.

High efficiency ratings take into consideration only the efficiency of the equipment at the optimum operational point of operation. Since higher efficiency systems with larger coil area require longer run times to operate at optimum efficiency, they do not truly operate more efficiently all of the time. Add to that the lowering of the thermostat to compensate for higher humidity and savings become quite a "relative" subject.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV