Exclamation

I'm new to the trade, and am interested the proper steps to change out a condensing unit that is old, or not working. Where I work we remove the old unit and throw in the new one as fast as possible. We do recover the r22 if it hadn't leaked all out but the guys don't do anything else. I feel there should be more to it. Maybe to make sure the rest of the unit is working? Please let me know step by step the proper way to do this.
    Thanks.

You really need to attend an HVAC school.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Are you in the trade?If so please apply to the Pro section,as detailed instructions shouldn't be in this section,for Diyers.

1. Do heat gain calc on the home.
    2. Get that size outdoor unit and matching indoor coil.
    3. Recover refrigerant as required by law.
    4. Install new equipment, new lineset is best even if old one is properly sized.
    5. Run vacuum pump, pull below 500 microns on your vacuum gauge. Make sure it holds 10 minutes.
    6. Start and check system using mfrs. charging chart. Set blower speed for no more than 400 CFM. Compare your measured static pressure with furnace blower chart.

You do have recovery machine, vacuum pump, micron gauge, magnehelic?

You know how to do a Manual J?

You were planning to install a matching evap?

You need to find a better place to work. You are learning some hideous techniques

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    1. Do heat gain calc on the home.
    2. Get that size outdoor unit and matching indoor coil.
    3. Recover refrigerant as required by law.
    4. Install new equipment, new lineset is best even if old one is properly sized.
    5. Run vacuum pump, pull below 500 microns on your vacuum gauge. Make sure it holds 10 minutes.
    6. Start and check system using mfrs. charging chart. Set blower speed for no more than 400 CFM. Compare your measured static pressure with furnace blower chart.

You do have recovery machine, vacuum pump, micron gauge, magnehelic?

You know how to do a Manual J?

You were planning to install a matching evap?

You need to find a better place to work. You are learning some hideous techniques

I agree Loone however, you did just eliminate more than 50% of the contractors in the HVAC business with the Manual J requirement alone! And, I am probably being very conservative with the 50%.

And with micron gauge and checking static pressure, I eliminate the other 50%

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    And with micron gauge and checking static pressure, I eliminate the other 50%
    Yup! That is pretty much the truth.

Originally posted by ejs
    I'm new to the trade, and am interested the proper steps to change out a condensing unit that is old, or not working. Where I work we remove the old unit and throw in the new one as fast as possible. We do recover the r22 if it hadn't leaked all out but the guys don't do anything else. I feel there should be more to it. Maybe to make sure the rest of the unit is working? Please let me know step by step the proper way to do this.
    Thanks.
    ejs,

I am sorry that we will not be able to advise you on this subject. There are site rules and logical reasons that prevent us from posting such information.

Good luck in school

Thank you for asking your question.

Forum Rules