Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

Hello. I am really impressed with the knowledge many of you have on the site and am wondering if I can get some help.

Our home just survived hurricane Dennis (Florida) and it has been impossible to cool the home below 80 degrees. ARS the ("On time repair guys") came a day late and charged $324.00 to find a leak (10 min) and put 3lb freon in the system. They said the leak was with two king valves -- they want $604.00 to replace these.

My question is simple: I am wondering if I should have the repair done, or if I should get a new condenser unit. What other problems might there be?

My compressor (inside unit) is only two years old while my condenser outside unit is about 10 years old.

Also, do these prices represent fair market value? Should I go with the big company, or is there another way to find good help. I am out of the area now (in the military) and have to get the work done for the folks back home, so I can't interview people personally.

Regards,

Tim

we are not allowed to comment on prices. But you might want another opinion

i would probably get estimates for replacement of condenser...that's my opinion.I would like to say thanx to all you military personnel for the job you people are doing.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Sorry.Prices are not allowed,against the rules.

Charging full "leak search " price ,for something so esy to find,is kinda hard to take.Now on the positive side if you do the repair and there's other leaks,they'll likely do a second search for free.

I call and discuss the charges,and see if they'll do beter.

If not get a second opinion.

10 year old unit condenser ,has the compressor in it.In Florida ,on the coast,likely a heat pump,close call to repair or replace.Replacing is the safer bet,new warranty etc.

Should be matched to the indoor unit,by brand and models.

What city are you ,we may know a great contractor in your area.

Originally posted by tbooher
    ARS
    I'd suggest another opinion from a company with a better BBB record.

Military? Destin? Fort Walton Beach, etc?
    http://www.nwfl.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=11001648

thanks for the advice

sorry about asking on prices -- didn't see that in the rules -- but i didn't look at them too closely. just trying to do the right thing. my house is in Mary Esther Florida (near Hurlburt Field Florida).

What are King Valves -- my main intent in asking price information is that since I am away from my house -- I can't see the problem -- I don't know what I big deal this is. To me a $600 repair means -- major problem -- is this a major problem? Does a 'King Valve' problem mean that other problems are on the way.

wow -- thanks

thanks for the bbb reference -- i had no idea -- since I am away from family I went with a big company, but I can get internet over here -- so I should check that out. work is pretty demanding and we have to share computers so I don't have lots of time to do research -- but bbb is a good quick check.

Regards,

tim

No a king valve is the connection point where refrigerant is added and where pressure reaings are taken not to major although before going to far and saying to much he didn't take enough time for me to say that the job was done right

Re: thanks for the advice

Originally posted by tbooher
    What are King Valves...Does a 'King Valve' problem mean that other problems are on the way.
    More likely the service tech was describing your condenser's service valves. A "King valve" is a specific term used to describe a particular application, and you wouldn't be likely to have two of them.

http://www.longviewweb.com/serport.htm

Your leak could be something as simple as leaking schrader cores in the service valves, or even a loose cap...which is why you need another opinion.

First of all, residential systems do not have "king valves". Commercial systems when they have them only have one king valve never two. Either they are not telling the truth or don't know their stuff regarding that item.

Although we do not discuss prices here I suggest you call another company in your area. Is that a hint or what?

i agree chris but the instructor at alocal college was teaching some student that all valves were king valves so he could have been the poor student.

Originally posted by bama 101
    i agree chris but the instructor at alocal college was teaching some student that all valves were king valves so he could have been the poor student.

There is a great deal of HVAC mythology taught in our tech school programs.

Not to mention the HVAC textbooks.

And to think they didn't read the books but i'm sure glad he wasn't my teacher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast