Thread: Arzel Zoning

Proposing to install a Arzel zonig system in an existing home and I've personally never installed one and was wondering if anybody had any opions good or bad about the system, I think its a good cost effective means of zoning an existing system and as far as that Im green about the ease of installtion and problems that occasionaly happen with this system.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

We have been using Arzel zoning for about 3 years now.
    In my opinion it is a great zoning system that is easy & quick to install.
    Their panels & dampers have given us no problems at all.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

We've done arzel for 7 years now. Early models had circuit board issues, they seemed to have improved. Warranties are definately better. Mostly no damper probs, although I recently had a six year old system that I replaced 11 leaking dampers on.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback about the system and you all know about installing something new to you...its a concern because you sell the job and install the job and expect everything to go as planed.I will carry on with the proposal and expect everything to go as planned.

Chris

we install around 60 a year,the best for what they are.i wish they would work with the infinty control.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    we install around 60 a year,the best for what they are.i wish they would work with the infinty control.
    You can do it, I have not yet convinced the princibles here that we should do it, we have a local contractor that has done about 3 systems. They have had very high success, actually they told me they are achieving temperature control better than they expected. They built their own interface panel which consists of two relays and a solenoid per zone and a pump. I can get you more info if your interested.

My opinion....(If you're interested)
    In the residential scheme of things, the added expense of modulating zone dampers is very difficult to justify. If an open/closed damper system is designed and set-up properly it will maintain zone temperatures within a degree of set-point and have a minimal affect on equipment cycling. If we (HVAC Industry)are truly about "providing the Comfort our Customers Desire" than we need to design equipment that handles cycling at any rate. This industry tends to be ruled by the design limitations of the furnace and A/C equipment. We need to push those limitations to a point were we can actually sell and provide true whole house comfort. If we don't push, the rules won't change.

Thanks for letting me vent!

jr

Jrammuni,
    In my opinion, Zoning in residential is to fix design flaws from previous contractors who did not advise homeowners about fluctuating temp differences.Zoning is usually installed in...well, I dont want to say large because its relative to alot of variables but 2 story, vaulted ceilings in great room second story very exposed to first floor( cat walk, high ceilings, tall windows, etc.) It's the builders who cheap out and dont option out accessories for homeowners, had this same conversation wit my factory rep today for 3 hours about this, Its insane that they dont bring in there mechanical contractor to explain this to the homeowner because most builders get a percentage to all upgrades! Its a dis/service to homeowners who dont know any better

i believe most residential contractors dont know a thing about zoning. you try to sell a zoning system and 10 contractors will be bidding 2 systems instead of 1 with zone controls. we install bryants perfect zone and have not had one problem. every customer has been more than satisfied with the results.

Originally posted by cedermechanical
    Jrammuni,
    In my opinion, Zoning in residential is to fix design flaws from previous contractors who did not advise homeowners about fluctuating temp differences.
    cedermachanical
    Becareful now....although zoning will correct its share of design flaws, temperature fluctuations from 1st fl to 2nd fl or swings due to sun travel are not design flaws. What this is about is contractors allowing homeowners to believe that the single zone system they are quoting will provide whole house comfort control 365 days/yr. You can design the perfect single zone system possible and you will still have comfort control issues. It's not a flaw it's a reality of the design.
    Single zone system designes are based on averages and peaks and then they are balanced for one load scenario. Being that the loads throughout a stucture vary on a seasonal, daily and hourly basis and knowing that the system can not vary the zone cfm, you can expect that some level of temperaure fluctuation will occur.
    Instead of educating our customers about the realities of the system they are buying, we opt to lie to them and then blame the inadequacies on the house design or the schmuck that installed the ductwork or the equipment is too big or too small or something else that has absolutly nothing to do with the real problem.

jr