+ Reply to Thread

Thread: POS still running, just barely...

Post Likes
    This Carrier unit circa 1975, is one of five units on a store. The timeguard was bad and it was jumped out to get the unit running again. After that, the condenser fan had bad bearings and a fan from another inoperative unit was put in.

My company is trying to get some of these units replaced. This is a strip mall and the this store layout has been altered, so not all five units are needed.

http://cv4.org/Photo_071405_001.jpg

[Edited by rennsport on 07-16-2005 at 04:01 PM]

Post Likes
    Damn...that's pretty old.
    Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    Do Your Self And The Customer A Favor........Burn IT!!!!!!!
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Post Likes

How old is that thing?

Post Likes
    circa 1975.

Post Likes

The post-tally should show 1? :)

I'm here to learn and am brand-spanking new to this work.

So far I've worked on one(!)A/C unit and it looked -exactly- like that one. :) No kidding, my son is going to get a kick out that picture since it's for him I'm getting into this line of work, he was there, it was his first too.

All it needed was some freon and the shrader valve caps put back on. Had to find a pair of those, picked 'em up off the roof near other units. Same with the screws, it was missing 14 screws and managed to find exactly that number laying around the other 12 or so identical units.

Carefully charged to 12 degrees of subcooling and called it good. I may not be worth a shit, but they were glad I did something instead of walking away.

Scrounged up a couple pieces of wood and made a wedge/lever to get the screw holes lined up. Who was it was compalining about left over screws and other junk on the roof? ;)

Oh almost forgot, it's still holding it's charge after about a month, it was just the schrader valve caps were left off.
    You know, a guy can't help but wonder if that was on purpose for job security. :(

I wasn't that way on the rail road and ain't gonna be that way in this work either. At least half the others I worked with were tho!

Does that information make you feel good while crossing the railroad while the gates are in the air? LOL :)

I figure it's "just the american way". :/

Any of you finding different?

Alvin in AZ (retired signal ape)

Post Likes

POS Part Deux

Here is how they were installed.

[Edited by rennsport on 07-16-2005 at 10:53 PM]

Post Likes
    looks like a typical apt complex in phoenix. even when they do change out the units they dont do the elbow and they leave the old ones on the roof. will post pictures in near future..

Post Likes
    MUST RE S I Z E

Looks familiar to me...

Some of my recent Carrier 50 YM's or whatever they were straigh cool electric heat POS's but STILL running...

Don't plan on a NEW Carrier lasting half as long!!!

Also on business'. And of course they want them 30 yr old turds FIXED rather than replaced

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in