Hmm

Goodman 4 ton with variable speed air handler has a hard start kit installed and is about 2 months old. Already had to have compressor replaced due to it jumped spring and was very noisy. What causes hard start to happen and how can it be fixed any help would be appreciated.

Farefax

Hard start kits are generally used on residential systems that have a TXV feeding the evaporator coil. Due to the pressure differential on the top and bottem of the piston in the compressor a standard low HP residential compressor will not have the power to overcome this. So some systems will contain a Hard Start Kit that jolts the compressor to overcome resistance in starting. You may only see this on recip. compressors.

Some times the tolerance is very tight and you will have to put a hard start cap on them!

make sure you put the hard start kit right side up. If you put it side ways or up side down you will have problems. I don't know why but it does make a diffrence. I have found out the hard way. Also make sure you use the correct size.

Confused

This is all being done by my AC contractor we also have several other problems the unit sweats and the tape comes undone in the garage were the air hander is. So this time its covered in mastic and the duct still leaks. He also told me I may need to get my electrical breaker panel balanced? What is that?This has been going on now for a month. Will this ever get done?

They came out and wrapped the air handler so it would sweat. (Don't know now if its sweating as they wrapped like a cocoon.) They checked the hard start unit they say its OK, AC is still starting hard sounds like its gonna blow up. What else can it be? This is a brand new air handler and condensing unit. They set it up to 5 ton even though the condenser is a 4 ton because around 3pm the temp would go up to 78 for about 3 or 4 hours and stat is set to 75. The ac seems to be running most of the time.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Larry