not cooling well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    hello ..im trying to fix my ac unit..i bought the house new ten years ago and it came with a bdp air conditioner the house is 1900 sq feet..im not sure of the tons.. i get 60 to 63 deg out of the registers..but upstares stays hot the lowest i can get it to is 85 deg in the afternoon and if i run the unit all day it will cool down to 80 at 11.30 pm..yersterday i measured the outside temp and it was 110 deg.. the temp at the ac fan was 120 deg.. i used a set of old manifold gages and the low side read 110psi and the hi side when you first start the unit peg the gage over 500psi.. then droped down to 495.. can my ac be overcharged.. what psi should i be looking for ..the ac modle number is 561aj048-f thanks for your help.. bye

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,548
    Call for service.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    hi iv had several ac tech out to look at my propublem... iv had it charged twice and serviced once .. still does the same thing..thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,680
    Sorry, call a reputable company.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    could my system be overcharged.. does anyone here know where i can get the chart on the proper manifold pressures.thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    483
    Originally posted by morepwr
    could my system be overcharged.. does anyone here know where i can get the chart on the proper manifold pressures.thanks
    Can you post the number from you EPA certification card? If not then you need to call a reputable company. It is illegal for anyone who is not EPA certified to hook gauges up to any refrigeration or A/C system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    697
    Utterly amazing! Gauges from eBay? Maybe he can find a "charging by pressures alone" chart there, too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    483
    Originally posted by Panama
    Utterly amazing! Gauges from eBay? Maybe he can find a "charging by pressures alone" chart there, too.
    LOL, I want one of those charts too, it would make charging so much easier To the original poster, over 500psi head If this is an R22 system, you got big problems If it's R410a, well you still got big problems trying to fix it yourself. Step away from the gauges and call for service before you get hurt. If this is an R410a unit you need special gauges to handle the pressure. Gauges can blow up in your face you know. Just read an article on how Coca-Cola is starting to use C02 as a refrigerant in their vending machines, can't wait until they start using it for domestic units, hmmm 2000psi head pressures, sure just put a set of old ebay gauges on it

    [Edited by jdenyer on 07-19-2005 at 01:32 PM]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Posts
    22

    Talking

    Hey guys!!! I just won a universal EPA card off ebay. Does this mean I can play service tech now?

    [Edited by w30olds on 07-19-2005 at 02:38 PM]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    344

    Talking w30olds

    Yes, your the one who gets the service calls for all the e-bay warranties.

    congratulations....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Posts
    22

    Re: w30olds

    Originally posted by ruud-man
    Yes, your the one who gets the service calls for all the e-bay warranties.

    congratulations....
    SWEET!!!! Now can someone tell me how to charge up units? [B]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    131
    Are you the one selling the shiny teapot ???
    Some people just aren't smart enough to be stupid....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Posts
    22
    Originally posted by morepwr
    hello ..im trying to fix my ac unit..i bought the house new ten years ago and it came with a bdp air conditioner the house is 1900 sq feet..im not sure of the tons.. i get 60 to 63 deg out of the registers..but upstares stays hot the lowest i can get it to is 85 deg in the afternoon and if i run the unit all day it will cool down to 80 at 11.30 pm..yersterday i measured the outside temp and it was 110 deg.. the temp at the ac fan was 120 deg.. i used a set of old manifold gages and the low side read 110psi and the hi side when you first start the unit peg the gage over 500psi.. then droped down to 495.. can my ac be overcharged.. what psi should i be looking for ..the ac modle number is 561aj048-f thanks for your help.. bye
    If you're reading 110 psi on the low side and over 500 psi on the high side you might want to run far away from that unit. It's going to go boom. Typical readings should be around 65-80 on the low and 225-275 on the hight side. Of course this all depends on the load inside, temps outside, and the condenser your running. Is this a heat pump, or straight AC?

    If you take the outside temp and add 30 degrees then this should give you a idea of what your high side pressure should be running around. Low side pressure should be relevent to the high on the pressure/temp chart.

    [Edited by w30olds on 07-19-2005 at 10:36 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event