I have a 3,000 sq ft expanded cape in Mass. We have a partial attice and an unfinished basement. Our first floor is a very open layout, except for one room. The upstairs is all bedrooms. We have baseboard heating.

I'm in the process of getting estimates for conventional A/C. So far all the contractors agree that we'll need 2 systems - one in the attic and one in the basement. The estimates have been quite a large range. So far I haven't been able to get 2 close together. I'm also trying to get an estimate for high velocity.

I'm told that HV is quite a bit more expensive. Is this true? I don't anticipate we'll use the a/c that much so I'm wondering if its even worth it. I was thinking of doing a ductless unit in the open space on the first floor and maybe suffering with window units upstairs. Does this sound like a reasonable alternative?

[Edited by chlobo on 07-15-2005 at 09:01 PM]

RULE # UNO: NO PRICE DISCUSSIONS ON THIS SITE. READ RULES.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

we are not allowed to comment on prices here. but if you want opinions on HV then you will get feedback.

I don't see in her post where she asked anything about price,unless it's her question about is HV more expensive.

stay away from window shakers. If your gonna do it, Do it right 2 systems. Hv is more expensive and less efficient. If you have the attic space put standard duct system in

you could do ductless it the open eara and conventional on the second floor for the bed rooms. hv system does cost more to install but will pull out more humidity then conventional. iether way the important thing is for it to be sized properly and installed properly. when choosing start with the contractors that did a heat loss and now what size you realy need and go from there
    good luck

Does you area have humidity that stays over 70% during 90 deg days for long periods of time. Also is your home well sealed. Those are the questions you need answer to to decide if the higher humidity of a HV system will be of benifit. If you hire a good contractor they will be able to help you with deciding wheather HV is a good choice.

In my area the HV systems are great for older homes that are not sealed too well but on new construction they are a poor choice.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

bbk: her first post specifically asked questions about and listed pricing. apparently it was cencored by the moderator.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

HV systems are more expensive then conventional.

Depending how many bedrooms you have you may want to consider ductlist split system for the bedrooms. You can have 3 indoor units to 1 outdoor, and they're alot quiter then window shakers.

The real question is how much is your comfort worth.
    Let that answer decide which way you go in cooling your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?