Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lets say you have the thermostat set at 75 degrees. When the room temperature comes down to 75 shouldn't the system turn off?

It depends. Systems have time delays, anticipators, and smarter t-stats(electronic boards aka mini-computers) that tell the contacts when to open. This can be much worse on a mercury stat. If your stat reads 75,and you have it set to 75,it might take a short time for it to shut down.This isn't a problem.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

not necessarily considering depends on thermostat type and
    if it is level and even if it has been calibrated.

It's a digital thermostat Robertshaw 9520. It's set at 75 when the temperature comes to 75 it will still run forever. Like not shut off at all.

Have you tried checking the temperature with something other than your thermostat?

Bama suggested the t-stat may not be calibrated properly. That's a real possibility. I had the same thing recently with a digital Robertshaw t-stat. There were instructions included with the stat that allowed me to reset the temp.

Originally posted by ablib
    room temperature comes down to 75
    So we assume you are in the cooling mode...maybe a fan off delay.

does it shut off at 74 or does it continue well past the set point?

It is in cooling mode. Don't know about a fan off delay.

Well the problem with my A/C as you may be able to tell from other threads is that it barely works. The A/C runs for hours (during the day)just to bring it down one degree. So when it finally comes down to the set temperature I'd like it to shut off. But it will keep running. Eventually it will shut off at the set temp. But not as fast as it should. If it comes to the set temp it may not shut off for like an hour after that. It doesn't go lower than the set temp.

I make my living fixing ac...and you guys give out diy advice?

Cheer up , "thefreeze".
    In a lot of cases, the average 'diyer' will create more work for you to fix by monkeying with something they know very little about.

Thumbs up

So freeze, what your saying is not to answer any questions, give advise or help anyone who post here, might as well close the site then.
    Most here make their living "fixing ac's" too but enjoy helping others all the same,
    If you don't want to answer any post that's fine, I don't think us answering this post will take business away from you.
    Enjoy the site, good techs in this forum, you never know some one here might have to answer one of your questions or you may need advise unless you have mastered the ac field, I know I haven't mastered it yet, hopefully in the next 30 years I will have mastered it.
    Again, enjoy your stay here.

ablib.

It may not be the stat, it could still be the same trouble you been having with your system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by thefreeze
    I make my living fixing ac...and you guys give out diy advice?
    ablib, lives in an apartment complex where they have yet to get his a/c to work right, its doubtful the complex would let him hire an outside contractor.

So no one is losing any money by any adivse we're giving him.

And we also tell people to run their own manual J's.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast