Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDA

Does Any One Use A PDA Cell Phone Combination?
    I Saw A Tech From Another Trade Useing One, He Said It Was Like a Mini Computer In His Hands, Customers, Supply House, Note Pad, Etc.
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Talking

My chickens use them all the time.

I just spent most of the day programming all our new Nextell/Blackberry combos today. So far they're pretty nice. We was using the regular Nextells and a Blackberry now it's all one unit.

They're sync'd to our Outlook account so all our mail, contacts, calender and stuff gets updated and our service software gets sent to it.

We are Zero paper.

You guys are so behind. I am running a rugged tablet with virtual office and vonnage.

So you still use paper, pencil, and a crank up telephone ?

Mattm. Check it out.

I got 2 fully ruggedized tablet laptops, (meaning rain, sleet, snow, hot, cold, just like the mailman, plus I can drop it) with a verizon EVDO card. ( DSL speed, 500 KB or better on average, total coverage in my area, wirelessly). So I am on the net at all times. We have a hosted ASP Intranet which we do all dispatch, receive fax, email, communications, shared documents ect. Some of my customers have the ability to look at all work we have done for them such as their invoices, account balances, on top of that they can pay their invoices online. Also integrated and Running Quickbooks online. Can do credit card on the spot. Were Capturing digital signature. Invoicing is done in the feild upon completion of work. Time automatically tracked. Yada Yada. I am running Vonnage for phone with soft phones on tablets, with a wireless earpeices hooked with bluetooth. At the ranch we have nothing. We have no traditional cable, telephone land line type any longer. We go anywhere, do anything at anytime with all communication, all process, all transactions, all documents avalaiable to me or my wife at all times. Alot of times we don't even call each other by way of phone but use Yahoo messenger to talk to each other. I wanted to get the tablets with the camera on them so we could just do video conference at anytime but they don't have that built into the rugged type yet and it's too much a PIA to plug the damn thing in and be tethered.

I will give you an example. I had ordered a 10 ton RTU the other day. I called supplier on my vonnage from the roof of the existing RTU I just condemned. Hung up. My sales guy faxed me (received as email) curb dimmensions for adaptor and quote for total price. With that, I checked my job over (still on roof), ran an estimate through quickbooks online. Went downstairs, gave price, got quote signed digitally, received all money down with credit card which I processed right there, brought up the quote on documents, digitally signed my name, faxed it back via email, got the equipment ordered, got on quickbooks and paid supplier electronically for the equipment, got on vonnage and ordered crane. 2 hours later I am flying an old POS lennox off the roof. 6 hours later a nice new shiny rtu running like a tiger. Home by 4. No books to do. Supplier paid. Crane paid. I am paid.

That was a 10 ton Rooftop. Just silly service work is even easier.

Another great thing about document library is all my manuals, wiring diagrams all avalaible to me in an instant, in the rain, on the roof. I normally try to have the manufacturers like sporlan just linked so I can go there and look at the manuals they have on there server. No use in eating my memory. I also got alot of my music on there, kinda like a music library. If I want to listen to music I can either broadcast to my truck radio through bluetooth or just through the speakers on the laptop. We got AOL too and they have good music on all the time.

Now my FIXED, I repeat FIXED costs for this fancy set up is a whopping 300 bones a month, with a 7 grand initial investment. 300 bones is including my unlimited wireless on two rugged laptops, my merchant account, quickbooks, hosted intrant and vonnage. All unlimited time or data. I got rid of office, office chics, phone lines, fax lines, ect ect.

Okay. Now. The greatest thing. Yeagh, even though the tablets are rugged, I am sure there bound to break, it's a computer after all. Hope not but I am a pessimist. No problem. I just need another computer and an internet connection to have access to my entire deal. I won't lose nothing.

Thats why I am saying. I realize it's easy for me to do since were small, but my god, don't not investigate this technology. Me and my wife were talking and our lives are so much easier, were so much more efficient, easier to make money.

I don't even use my credit lines in the traditional sense at suppliers any more. I walk in with my tablet, enter my purchase in QB online, pay it electronically as I walk out. I don't even have to pay them with CC. They take too long. I just get my parts, walk out and pay it through QB. I have zero payables any more. It's awesome.

I might add. I am now starting to instead of typing out my invoices, doing voice recognition for the explanation of work, utilizing my earpeice that I also use as my phone. It's pretty cool. If you train the computer, it can really do a great job putting speech to text pretty accurately.

Dang many D's you are the tech leader. That's very impressive.

How about Some More Info.....Sounds Like The wright system To Use.

The OP is asking about an HP6515 IPaq by Sprint.

Very nice and can run programs. You can even do dispatch invoicing with customer signature if you use a service software like ESC.

Has phone included.

I Think I Will Use A Chicken.......They Have A Built In Pointer In The Head.....I Just Can't Find A KFC Bucket With Belt Lops In It...To Carry It Around???....Any Ideas!!

How Much Is Software On Some Of Those Systems,....Tired Of Writeing Notes On Scrap Paper And Then Forget What Happen To Them!!

All HP IPAQ handhelds that I have seen have the stylus in the top or pointer as you call it.

There actuall a ton of software that can be purchased online and they come with Microsoft CE handheld version loaded with office programs for note taking.

Some of these IPAQ models have a built in camera too... The Sprint HP 6515 has a camera function too.

About $500.00 or so plus a phone contract.

Hey Lusker,

here we go again hey?

You guys must realize that all of what I got going on, any one of you could assemble for yourselves in no time right? I am using off the shelf stuff. If you are not tracking what I am saying I don't know how I could break it down any easier than I have.

BTW. Lusker you might see where I have improved on my plan. Somehow, using the srpint EVDO, there not blocking vonnage VOIP. I was leery at first. But now confident enough where I cancelled my nextels. I did speak with someone and they said if you go with the unlimited data and pay a year in advance, they will not block VOIP. So. It works good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast