Which Trane xl AC unit?

I'm getting ready to install a new Trane complete system. I live in the L.A. area, Newbury Park in Ventura County.

I've pretty much decided on the XV80 variable speed furnace installed in the attic. Furnace and AC are 4-ton.

I'm having trouble deciding which outdoor AC to go with.

I would like to have R-410a for peace of mind.

I was originally set on getting the xl14i with R-410a.

Now the xl15i just came out which is R-22 ONLY but has an improved, quieter fan system, as well as some fix to keep the copper lines going to the coil from vibrating, which I suppose is a rare problem in the xl14i, I don't know. Does anyone know of this vibration/noise problem with the copper tubing in the xl14i? That's what I am MOST concerned about.

Now I'm wondering if I should look into and get a price for the xl16i which is R-410a ONLY and 2-stage compressor instead of 1-stage like the 14 and 15 so I could still get R-410a. I don't yet know the price increase to go to the 2-stage xl16i. Maybe it's inhibitive anyway.

Like I said, I feel like I should go with R-410a, but it bothers me that the brand new xl15i only comes with R-22.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

-Grant

[Edited by grant_socal on 07-15-2005 at 01:36 AM]

I used to think R-410A or Puron was "cool". Then I decided it didn't matter whether it was Puron or R-22 - the efficiency of the unit is determined by other factors. But after reading this forum for over a year now, my general sense is that R-410A is less forgiving than R-22. If you find a contractor who does everything by the book and installs it properly, then R-410A will work just as well as R-22. But often it seems the installer or tech doesn't get it quite right. When that happens, R-410A systems seem to have more problems than R-22. If I were to get a new system, I would opt for R-22 simply for that reason.