Had a call from a young lady who said her a/c wasn't working. She was amazed that it would fail because they told her it was new when she bought the home a year ago.

It was a 21 year old, round POS Coleman! Never saw one like it before. Looked just like an old round Janitrol. Fan motor was locked up. I told her that maybe the furnace inside had been replaced and she said "No, it's a lot older than that."

Life is like a box of chocholates...
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Originally posted by midhvac
    Had a call from a young lady who said her a/c wasn't working. She was amazed that it would fail because they told her it was new when she bought the home a year ago.

It's too bad some dishonest person would pass off a 1984 Chevy Citation for a new 2003 Malibu. Hope they sleep well with that lack of consious.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

When I was a teenager my moms house had the original furnace in it.

The house was built in 1952.

I cant remember her ever having an "inspection"......

Thats scary.
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

While in school in 1989, I rented a 1937 house with original furnace. Soon as I learned some heat exchanger testing, I convinced the landlord to boot the sucker. HUGE cracks down both sides of the heat exchanger let flue gases pour in the place. CO tests were negative, the ancient conversion burner was burning clean.

rottendog was at a house today where the HO wasn't expecting trouble. Just bought the place and the heat pump had a new compressor. Yup, sure did, 1970s vintage Lennox HP9 someone slapped a new can in. Of course the R22 pouring out of a leaking coil wasn't addressed!

I believe they're Anderson(?) horizontal-discharge condensing units, but out at my condo, there's a few of the original units purring away. The cabinets are a bit rusty, but still mostly intact. Not bad for being right on the beach. Still not sure why they did horizontal discharge units on a roof... but who knows.

HOME INSPECTION BEFORE BUYING. If she had one done, it wasn't a good one. If she didn't, well, thats all Im gonna say. It IS dishonest, I don't like it, but in 2005, it seems to be the American way. (stinking liars getting rich from others misfortune)

Originally posted by dexman
    I don't like it, but in 2005, it seems to be the American way. (stinking liars getting rich from others misfortune)
    Yes... sad, but true.
    (only getting worse)