Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    if the unit is a couple years old, take it down, set it in the lawn and hose out the outside coil good. it may be plugged up with dirt (even if you cant see any)

Two weeks old huh? Take it right back and get a new one. Sounds like it was defective. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to fix something that new, it's not your problem, you just bought it two weeks ago.

Is the master bedroom closer to the breaker panel? [/B][/QUOTE]

The one that trips all the time is closer to the panel. I'm curious about the branch that feeds this particular out let now.

Return that POS and try again.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

NO!
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

what else goes out when the breaker trips? I'm assuming this is not a dedicated circuit.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Somebody almost had it! Likely low voltage at that time of day, sun just coincidental. Easy answer. Turn the other unit on (one that doesn't trip the breaker) between 2-5. Use that room instead for a day or two. See what happens then. Also check the voltage.
    If the "good" unit doesn't trip the breaker from 2 to 5, swap the two units. Either swap them physically or connect them to each other's outlet with a 10 ga extension cord.
    Make sure all this is done during the week, usage/voltage patterns are different on weekends.
    When you're done, the answer will be fairly obvious.
    Don't haul the thing back to the store until you are sure it's bad. What kind of masochist recommended that?

For the cost of 2 10 guage extension cords he could buy another unit at wally world or home cheapo or the like and keep one as a spare.

He most likely just has too much on the circuit.

Ever consider just getting a real ac system and forgetting the window shakers?

Wrong! He only needs one 10ga cord, not 2. He already said he runs one AC at a time, and they are both on the same breaker. And he can actually use that cord later to plug the unit into another circuit to determine if it's a house wiring issue.
    If it's an overloaded circuit, as you suggest yourself, why buy a spare AC? Does it make a good paperweight?
    But I do like your salesmanship. Never mind what the guy's problem is. The solution is always to sell him a 20-ton, 95 SEER central unit. Lennox should be proud of you!

Talking Creative Salemanship

Originally posted by dx
    But I do like your salesmanship. Never mind what the guy's problem is. The solution is always to sell him a 20-ton, 95 SEER central unit. Lennox should be proud of you!
    Where can I buy one?

How much ?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Re: Creative Salemanship

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by dx
    Where can I buy one?

How much ?
    I would like to see one of those myself. For his cooling a couple minisplits would be a dramatic improvement and he could open his windows anytime he didn't really need ac, not to mention they would have dedicated circuits.

Now when it come to window shaker they do damage the window they are in and have burned down more than just a few homes. They are a hard drain on what may be an older homes wiring system. You have not even addressed that the cicuit may be over loading and putting him at risk of that. Your solution of an extension cord also adds a trip hazard to his home which for some folks can be quite dangerous.

To the home owner who started this thead, what you need is an electrician. If the unit is drawing over rated amps he can tell you that and if its an overloaded cicuit he can tell you that as well as add the dedicated cicuit you may need. What ever you do, do not keep running it with it tripping the breaker, they can cause a fire as well.

This can be diagnosed here, but homeowner needs to give more info.
    Is the circuit breaker 15 or 20? Is the circuit wiring 14 or 12? Is the outlet wired "push in" style or screws on the side? What is the window AC max current on the label? What is the rating of the breaker that's part of the unit and never trips? Are the two window units identical or just "the same power"? Can't compare apples and oranges.
    Checking the outlet voltage at the time it trips is the easiest first check. Then check same at the mains.
    With the above info, the problem can be diagnosed step-by-step right here on your friendly forum.
    Disclaimer: Homeowner does need to keep fingers away from live wires.

Gee dx, I guess the HO will KNOW which wires are 'live' won't he? At least when he gets hold of them!

Now them HOs don't even have to call in one of them there expensive electricians along with the hvac guy.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast