Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My window air conditioner trips the breaker when temperatures are high. It's been over 102 for the last 4 days and it trips often. When the temps were below 98 it rarely happens. The only place I could place it was in a window that get direct sunlight from 2:00pm until 5:00pm (yes it only trips then). Is there any danger to shielding it from the sun and leaving it open at the coil fins? I would have about a 4-inch clearance on the top and one side the other side is not a problem.

By the way the circuit is the proper size and I only use the unit on that circuit alone

sunlight would not trip a breaker. probably overloaded circuit, weak breaker or low voltage. do not do anything that could possibly restrict air flow.

You might want to check to see if the condenser coil is clean first. I do not work on window shakers, but I have seen them operate in southern Arizona where 102 degrees is a summer norm without problems.

The unit is about 2-weeks old

take it back.

The unit is equipped with its own breaker but it never trips only the breaker at the panel. I have another unit in my master bedroom (equal power) on the same circuit (they never run at the same time) it never trips (not once) its not exposed to the sun. I'm a little stumped!

Well, I guess the coil is clean then. Electrical checks. Breaker size--loose connections--wire size--

later in the day once in the shade no problems. This is the reason I was suspecting the sun.

around here 2pm-5pm prime time for low voltage. doubt it is a/c problem probably want to get electrician to check connections in circuit. if unit not real big try swapping with bedroom unit see what happens.

You can do all kinds of goofing around here--Like switching the units, but the problem is most likely the electrical to that appliance or the machine itself. The unit will work harder in direct sunlight, but most units keep chugging along anyway.

Originally posted by antonyeo
    The unit is equipped with its own breaker but it never trips only the breaker at the panel. I have another unit in my master bedroom (equal power) on the same circuit (they never run at the same time) it never trips (not once) its not exposed to the sun. I'm a little stumped!
    Is the master bedroom closer to the breaker panel? The farther away,the more draw. Personally,I'd take it back and try a new one. If it's the $68 Appliance depot special, I'm sure not alot of quality was put into building it. They're disposable.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Try turning off the energy saver. This will allow the fan to run continues, this will keep the comp and cond coil a few deg’s cooler. If the problem continues take it back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast