I'm in a small place, a townhouse about 1200 sq feet, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Everyone's said to get a 1.5 ton central air unit, about 10 seer since it's Toronto and it'll generally only run in the hot times of the day during the summer.

Here's the question though - what would be a good QUIET unit to get? How do we watch for that sort of thing?

We've been offered an unknown Keeprite, and a "Carrier" system made by Carrier but unlabelled, for about the same price. Both are good-price 10 SEER units I think. Does anyone know where I can find sound ratings for residential central air con units?

We want to mount it in the back wall but since we have a deck out there, we dont want the outside fan unit of the aircon to kill us with noise and heat.

Also, what are "Sound Blankets"?

Thanks,
    Nizetti.

The quietest 10 SEER I know of is the Tempstar TCA series. They are similar to the Keeprite but with a special top and 2 speed fan motor. Rheem/Ruud units are fairly quiet too. Usually you have to spend a bundle on a premium unit besides the TCA, to get a very quiet model.

10 SEER Carrier units will not be quiet. The Keeprite may not be too bad if the deluxe unit with a scroll compressor.

There are sound ratings but often it is best to hear the unit you are thinking of.

A sound blanket is a hood like device that covers the compressor to reduce the noise heard from it.

Mitisubishi Samsung Sanyo

Have you gave it any thought on going with like a 14 seer instead of a 10 seer?It will pay off in the long run, price around and see if a 14 seer would be in a price range that you can live with.
    I'm not big on "sound blankets", compressor runs cooler with out it, but it does lower the sound though quite a bit.

Most manufacturers have quiet units available if you ask for noise reduction specifically. Compare the DB ratings. Also ask about refrigerant piping installation or at least verification that it is installed properly to reduce noise transmission. I do agree though that the Tempstar TCA series is a very quiet unit. I do not know what it is rated at sound wise, but I have seen/heard them in action and they are quiet without a compressor blanket.

Decibels (Bels) - the lower the number the quieter the unit. The knock offs for Carrier are Day and Night or Payne. Keeprite are Tempstar and Heil are the most common here in Ontario. Sound blankets work well as we don't get the same heat as they do in the U.S., usually. These past few weeks have been an exception. A 2-speed fan operation on the outdoor unit will make it quieter too. For an example a Keeprite KAC (this unit will have Keeprite on the housing) is a SEER 10 at 6.8 Bels with no TX valve required. A Keeprite NAC SEER 10 must have a TX valve to be a SEER 10. Most units are test for their effeciency with a TX valve.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

We ended up getting the Keeprite, but we chose it over the Carrier unnamed system from your comments here.

SEER 14 would probably have doubled the price for the air con, and considering our location, and a number of other comments in HVAC Residential, it seems that we wouldn't need much more. I think if we need to use it for 20 years before we get the value back, we will probably just use it for 10 years before we move to a bigger house to accomodate the growing kids.

We've been finally able to sleep in the bedroom, as opposed to on an air mattress in the living room!

Later when I get home, I'll dig up what I can find about it and post it here. I don't know the exact specs of the system but we are just happy to have it.

We wont have a deck for some time yet, but the unit we have isn't too bad noise wise, and if it's too loud later when we build our deck, we can install a sound blanket right?

Cheers,
    Nizetti.

amana high efficiency barnone as quiet as you will find anywhere and will pay off alot better in long run

Before making a blanket statement about high SEER paying off, don't you need to know some things like cooling load hours of Toronto and electric rate? I'd guess your beloved Amana probably wouldn't pay off in the life of the unit. 1.5 ton with a very short cooling season isn't likely to save much each year.