I just recently bought a house. The house was built in 2001, 3,000 sq ft. The house has two units outside and I guess that's for upstairs and one for downstairs.

The t-stat now is a manual honeywell unit. I'm in need of a new programmable t-stat. Right now it's really hot and it's around 117 degrees!

There's so many to choose from and don't know where to start. I'm willing to pay good money if it's going to be cheaper in the long run. Can anyone help a newbie out?

VisionPro...... installed by a professional,not the one at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll be happy.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Hey baldguy,

First, understand that I'm just another homeowner so take any advice at your own risk.

The 117 is outside I hope, and your house is staying relatively cool. Otherwise call for service since a new thermostat won't help.

Now, if your intent is to get a programmable to save money, then few thoughts for you:
    1) a programmable will <probably> NOT save much money during A/C season
    2) you should have/need two thermostats in the house since replacing just one will conflict with the other
    3) If you are NOT comfortable carefully following the directions, and marking wires then call for service. The service person will make a recommendation on which one to get.
    4) Otherwise, I've had good luck with Honeywell programmables, and have two versions right now. You can go to their website to play around, or go into Lowes/Home Depot and see what you are comfortable with.

Remember, all the programmables do is to let you automatically raise the temperature setting when you are not home. Then, it can automatically lower the setting before you return. My experience has been that it takes so long to get the temperature/humidity back down that it effectively defeats the whole purpose. So, for me it is really not used during the A/C season, only during the heat season where it works G.R.E.A.T!

Hope this helps...

so far you have got this advice from someone that works in this busniess: not the one at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll be happy.

and this advice from another home owner
    go into Lowes/Home Depot and see what you are comfortable with.

There is a good reason you were told not to go to HD or Lowes but you probably will anyway. Attempting to install a thermostat UNLESS YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE MANY DIFFERENT WAYS THEY CONNECT TO DIFFERENT SYSTEMS--could easily end up costing you more to repair the damage you could cause than you will ever save

HO says:If you are NOT comfortable carefully following the directions, and marking wires then call for service.

you will usually need to know a little more than mark wires and read directions when connecting a stat.

Thanks for the advice and reply.

I just need to know which one to get, I'm pretty good at following directions, and wiring stuff isn't that difficult to me.

I'm just in need of finding a good t-stat that will offer good features.

So far everyone is saying to get the Honeywell Vision Pro. I don't plan on buying from retail as I never do. Most of the stuff I buy is usually online and I know that Lowes and HD are usually priced higher.

Also, what is the benefit of having a dehumidification control? I'm in Las Vegas, and the average humidity is around 10% in the summer time.

Originally posted by ct2
    so far you have got this advice from someone that works in this busniess: not the one at Lowes or Home Depot. You'll be happy.

and this advice from another home owner
    go into Lowes/Home Depot and see what you are comfortable with.

There is a good reason you were told not to go to HD or Lowes but you probably will anyway. Attempting to install a thermostat UNLESS YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE MANY DIFFERENT WAYS THEY CONNECT TO DIFFERENT SYSTEMS--could easily end up costing you more to repair the damage you could cause than you will ever save

HO says:If you are NOT comfortable carefully following the directions, and marking wires then call for service.

you will usually need to know a little more than mark wires and read directions when connecting a stat.

[Edited by baldyguy on 07-14-2005 at 02:21 PM]

Originally posted by baldyguy
    I don't plan on buying from retail as I never do. Most of the stuff I buy is usually online and I know that Lowes and HD are usually priced higher.
    The Vision Pro thermostat that trade professionals sell is a different model with significantly different features than the one you can get at the big box stores.

You can get programmable T-Stats that ramp up to save some money and they do let ya program setbacks and such to save some more but you know of course manual and programmable T-Stats won't make your units cool or heat any better so I guess my question is -why do you need a programmable T-Stat as opposed to the one you have?