Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I replaced a Trane 2-1/2 to heat pump outdooors 7 years ago, I did the a/h 5-years ago, I get a call no cooling, find no refrigerant in system, pressuru=ize dry nitro hear a big one, take off top cover discharcharge line wires were tied to 3/8" copper line (lucky copper) believe it or not 24volts it blew a hole /melted big enough to sick a pencil eraser in, I cut it out put in cuopling, leak check again at 60 psi I think I hear something crank it up to 350psi, hear sometning at top where cover/spine fine is, I spray alot of leak dect. around area the thing had 3-leaks in spine. So I get new XR-11 2-1/2 ton to replace yesterday, cut suction line, (ive seen it before over the years but never as thick) black/green goop thick as hell, stink like you wouldt believe, put small finger in suct. and keep pulling out this stuff, and like small pieces of hard tar. Outdoor fan was running when I 1st. went. So I was going to put on driers till I saw it was so bad, unit is ground, pipes go thru brick wall, into shettrocked closet, Iam going to cut wall, run new tubing replace indoor coil, new screen, what a can of worms, the thing is If I put driers on it might clean it up if I replace let run 24hrs, replace again. Lineset is very, very short 6-8 feet. Iam lucky theres 35 units On roof if it happened to one of those I would just use driers. If you stick you finger in suction, or twist up a rag and push it in there it will clean up to bright copper. And believe the 24volt discharge line put the big hole in 3/8" line there was even 4-5 small pcs. of what looked like when your soldering and tiny pc. falls to ground, BUT GUYS WHAT IS THIS SLUDGE! Compressor oil winding/insulation mix! STINK!

Read this thread, and I think it will answer your question.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=75499
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You have what has been termed "the green slime".From what I have read,it is a mess that must be removed entirely-lineset and coils.It will not clean up.That seems to be the consensus.

However,according to the resident expert here,this only happens to scroll compressors ten or more years old.If this is a seven year old,as you stated, then you might have found a new strain or mutation that we all need to be aware of!

Thank you for reporting it.

I'm not totally conviced it has to be the 10 year old compressor, I've personally seen it in systems much younger. It probably is Green Slime and as mentioned the only way to deal with it is to replace the entire refrigeration system. New Unit, new indoor coil and new line set. Nothing can be left exept the air handler itself.

I personally think there should not be a heat pump installed without a loss of charge switch. A LPS will not suffice unless installed in the discharge or liquid line. In many cases this is an add on or accessory and not factory installed. Any suction side leak in the heating season will pull all kinds of crap in the system and it will continue to run. Generally the HO doesnt know there is a problem because there is back up heat, until of course they begin to get their electric bill which tells them something is wrong but not always.

Seen it before on a system that broke open an ran while rainng-was left like that for months.

Its an indicator fluid. Means you need a whole new system.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Try telling a client that he has "green mole asses".

I can't imagine what it would be like to have a green slime system on something that is under warranty. What happens on that if you try turning it in on a claim? replacing everything , not like the manufacture isnt going to want to know what the hell happened. Try blaming that on the equipment.

I had success once, but today i would at a minimum install a changeable suction core suction filter at the unit with a LL filter in it before ever starting it. I would blow out LL and install a 303 drier at the air handler.

Good luck, we put 30 hours into cleaning up the last one of these since we didnt see the green slime until we put in a new condensing unit and ran it. The slime clogged everthing including LL service valve.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

green slime

so what is it ? does anybody know? is it from a burnout or moisture entering the system?

We had two cases of "green slime" on Trane equipment this past fall and neither was anywhere near 10 years old. Both were due to low-side leaks that sucked in moisture on rainy days and our local Trane distributor did give us a new outdoor unit, lineset and coil on both occasions. They did have me try to clean one of them up with driers and such, but we had no luck at all. The stuff appears to grow faster than we can get it out.

Bobby

Green slime

cT2-

As I understand it, the POE oil used by scrolls is manufactured by distilling an acid. The moisture is removed and a lubricant is left.

Since it is natural for the POE to be an acid, the POE seeks to be in its original form by absorbing moisture from the air.

When POE becomes an acid it attacks the copper and forms a green residue.

That's the recipe- POE, water, and heat.

PS- Since the distillation process is "industrial strength", don't even waste your time with the relatively weak vaccuum pumps we carry.

I suspect it has mineral oil in it if its R-22.

None the less moisture in oil does create acid and acid does eat at copper (as well as the insulation on the compressor windings).

Green tubing

Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast