Hi everyone...we are having a house built in Clover, SC which is outside of Charlotte, NC...the house is 3600 sq. ft...2 stories...the standard HVAC choices are 80% eff. single speed stage gas furnace and 10 SEER Air conditioner...HEATING: the other choices for upgrades are: 80% two speed gas furnace...90% single and 90% two speed gas furnace...COOLING: 12 and 13 SEER Puron air conditioner....for an upgrade my husband and I are trying to decide between the 12 SEER and 13 SEER heat pump but we are having a hard time figuring out the how much difference the xtra cash for the 13 SEER will make...I am also curious as to whether I should just go with the 12 SEER and put the xtra cash into the 2 zone auto dampering system to make up the difference...and how exactly does the heat pump work....does it stay on all year round and you just switch from cool to heat...and if anyone can give me info on having a tankless hot water heater installed that would be a blessing...someone help me PLEASE...

For that size house, I'd suggest 2 systems rather than zone 1 big one.

Heat pumps are A/C units that run in reverse in the winter to take heat from outside and put it inside. They can be very cheap heat. A special thermostat with outside sensor controls it and tells the heat pump to shut off and the gas to run when it gets cold out.

In NC, payback for 90+ could be rather long. Payback for 13 SEER over 12 SEER could be non-existent depending upon what the difference is. Carrier has a cheapo line and a good line. I'd check into which unit they are planning on. The good line is so much better built with better warranties and so much quieter. (Outdoor units)

not sure what you mean by 2 systems...(2 heating and 2 cooling or heat pump and heating cooling?) and what about the 2 zone dampering system...any thoughts on that?

Originally posted by colorgyrl
    not sure what you mean by 2 systems...(2 heating and 2 cooling or heat pump and heating cooling?) and what about the 2 zone dampering system...any thoughts on that?
    I think he meant two heatpumps.One for upstairs,one for downstairs..or however it works out in your case.There are advantages to doing it that way instead of two zone dampering.

Keep asking questions, if you still need to know more.

what are the advantages and disadvantages...I don't think there is an option to choose 2 heat pumps (not that I could afford it)...how difficult would it to be to add another one in a year or two...keep the info coming

do it now dont wait

Originally posted by colorgyrl
    Charlotte, NC...the house is 3600 sq. ft...2 stories...gas furnace and Air conditioner...
    That is all we know so far,so explain the layout a little better and one of these guys will answer.Probably some from your region.

And ,at what stage of construction are you at now.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

layout is as follows: 1st Floor....living/dining combo..full bath..kitchen/breakfast nook combo..family room..office..pantry..2 car garage....2nd Floor....5 bedrooms..2 full baths..game room..house not started yet...will break ground in 1 break ground in 2 weeks...start framing in 1 month...I am trying to stay ahead of the game...found you guys in the nic of time...

I have to suggest two separate systems as well. One for the upper floor and one for the lower floor using gas heat two speed and 12 seer A/C.

I thought you would get more response...maybe the title"13 seer" is a turn-off.

The advantages of two systems:

1.lower cost
    2.less ductwork(or less intrusive and cheaper to design/install)
    3.if one system goes down on the coldest winter night,you can go to a different part of the house where the other system is still functioning ,and stay warm until help arrives.
    4.I think that staging ,in the way I have envisioned here, leads to early failure of the mechanical equipment.

I could be wrong about any of this. Hopefully,someone else will correct any errors in my statements...or add insightful dialog.

2 zones

go 2 zones--u will need 2 systems there--probably a 4 ton for u/s, a 31/2 for d/s--u will never get a payback on a 90 plus--but go 2 stage 80--MORE COMFORT--check with your utility for rebates on 13 seer--it should save u about 8% a season--kw costs r also a factor

Just a point to add....
    Today the minimum SEER level is a 10 SEER. This has been in effect for about 10 years. As of Jan 2006, the minimum SEER level will be increased to a 13 SEER, per the gov't minimum standards.