Hope some of you can provide some comments on a proposal I got to install a Goodman (I know, I know) system. 13.00 Seer 8.5 HPSF. Those of you who are still in the G-camp, could you suggest a better G-model? Proposed is Model CPLT030 (I found a CLT series not CPLT) with ARUF032 for air handler. 13.00 Seer system. I don't think ARUF032 uses a TXV or a variable speed. Any suggestions on that point? Also proposal reuses lineset that I have - are there any conditions under which this is OK? Finally the proposal recommends adding R7.3 foil faced ductwrap 2.25" thick on top of existing R4(1" thick). My duct insulation is tightly wrapped in some places where it sweats on humid days. Thanks !!

The insulation is a good idea. A Goodman AEPT32-1 will provide the TXV and variable speed to the system and raise the system rating to 14 SEER.

CLT is a condensing unit (cooling only), CPLT is a heat pump.

You will also need electric resistance heaters installed in the air handler if this is for heat pump application.

Nice system. Very quiet inside and out.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

My Goodman contractor advises against the variable speed handler. Says they are unreliable since he's taken several of them out recently of other units (all share GE mfg. he says). Meanwhile I have a proposal for an Am.Std. 13 SEER with variable speed handler and that contractor says they are very reliable. Actually the reasons that brought me to consider replacing my 13-15 yr old Amana mated to a 20+ year old Marvair Air handler are diminishing. The ducts were sweating heavily on humid days. I fixed that by putting a fan under the crawl space and running it during the day. The Marvair drain pan is rusted out and was leaking, but I believe that was due to a stopped drain. I ran a snake up the drain pipe several times and got a lot of water out (the outfit that installed this decided to run 30 ft of condensate line to go out the side of the house when they could have gone 5 feet out the front. Which brings me to my Q. SHould I replace a working unit 13/15 and 20+ yrs old or wait till it fries. Is there a rational way to decide this. This is my downstairs unit and my upstairs is a 11 yr old Carrier Tech 2000. My total heating/cooling costs last year I estimate to be $800 for the year. Thanks guys.

Any contractor that is still afraid of variable speed needs to either get up to snuff with the new technology or go to work in a museum where nothing will ever change.

The Goodman variable speed air handlers right now are about the best bang for the buck. They are using the same third generation that all but Carrier Infinity units are using and can be programmed for all variations of settings needed for any specific application.

If your contractor does not want to offer you the best in comfort features, get a quote from someone who will. There are things that can be done with variable speed technology that simply cannot be done with conventional PSC motors. And, they run on a fraction of the energy usage.

While your current system is not a matched system, it has been operating for enough time to not be too critical of it. As long as your comfort concerns are at bay, let the system ride till a major repair is needed, then replace the entire system with a properly matching and manufacturer rated system suggested by the contractor that is best looking out for your comfort.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 07-17-2005 at 09:56 PM]

I believe ALL brands use the same GE variable speed motor in their units.
    Some will deny it, but I cannot varify that it is, or is not the same motor.
    If it is the same motor, then the reliability should be the same in all VS unit motors....

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I repace it at that age.

Get a Variable speed fan an some good controls,doesn't have to be as good as Infinity,but check around.

VS are made by by GE ,and duct design likely kills, more then any thing else.

Duct design and improper grounding of the air handler. Of course it does not help when contractors don't know they need to set up VS systems and they let them fly at the factory settings.

Actrually GE VS motor divison was sold to a smaller corporation (can't remember the name) but almost the entire staff went to new company.