+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hill Phoenix. Excellence...or Pestilence??

Post Likes

Hill Phoenix. Excellence...or Pestilence??

What do you other refer pros think about Hills new equipment?? Am I the only one frustrated with this low quality poorly designed line of refrigeration equipment?

Post Likes
    I think that the equipment is pretty well designed, but sometimes, fit and trim leave something to be desired

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I think that the equipment is pretty well designed, but sometimes, fit and trim leave something to be desired

Post Likes
    So i take it you havent had the pleasure to change an evap fan motor in one of the new style RZH reach in's? or even better yet the defrost heater that requires you to remove the coil practically....
    and those plastic GE EMC evap fan motors are pure crap...at least the ones they send me are. I cant seem to get a year outta one.
    HP of course is happy to keep selling me the $200 fans.
    Energy efficency or not i dont think these are as cost effective as the ol cast iron 9Watters.

Whew there was my vent for the day.

By the way, I didnt start this thread with the intent of it being a Hill bashing one. They do have a lot of good stuff out there. Their new cases are pretty. And they work good...mostly... but damn if they arent hard to work on. This trend of tech unfriendliness in design is frightening to me.
    We the unwilling, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ReferTek View Post
    So i take it you havent had the pleasure to change an evap fam motor in one of the new style RZH reach in's? or even better yet the deftort heater that requires you to remove the coil.....
    and those plastic GE EMC evap fan motors are pure crap...at least the ones they send me are. I havent gotten a year outta one yet.
    and of course they happy to keep selling mme the $200 fans.
    Energy efficency or not i dont mthink these are as cost effective as tho ol cast iron 9Watters.

Whew there was my vent for the day.

By the way I didnt start this thread with the intent of it being a Hill bashing one. They do have a lot of good stuff out there. Their new cases are pretty. and work good...mostly... but damn if they arent hard to work on. This trend of tech unfriendliness is frightening to me.
    Nope. Haven't had that pleasure.

The Evap motors that I've changed have been fairly straightforward and simple changes. The cost of the motors pisses me off, but for the most part, aren't you passing that cost along to the customer???

I agree that ECM motors in wet areas like cases are a TERRIBLE application of that technology and I've been using cast iron 9 watters for years in their place when possible.

Post Likes
    Nope. Haven't had that pleasure.

The Evap motors that I've changed have been fairly straightforward and simple changes. The cost of the motors pisses me off, but for the most part, aren't you passing that cost along to the customer???

I agree that ECM motors in wet areas like cases are a TERRIBLE application of that technology and I've been using cast iron 9 watters for years in their place when possible.
    Hopefully you wont have to deal with the RZH's. I have 2 stores with them. They really are ridiculous insofar as the evap fan,coil, heater setup. You have to unload the entire section and lift the back panel out to get the fan housing out....

Of course the cost gets passed along to the customers. But how many $200 dollar fan motors can you change in one year in one case and still be on good terms with your customer??? Especially when its an hour labor to change one. Im the one that has to get *****ed out everytimme a fan dies. Not the Hill reps or engineers. I have tried to work with HP for a solution but basically been told to eff off.
    We the unwilling, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Post Likes
    Fit and finish is not that great. A lot of customers are using kysor Warren these days...

Post Likes
    I'm sure they're still nicer than any Kysor unit.

Post Likes
    If you've ever had the pleasure of banging Arneg cases together you'll see that hill isn't so bad.

Two identical bunkers, one piped with the components inside, one with them piped in the bottom. Brazed conections looked like it was done by a toddler. Check valves brazed in backwards. I've seen trim that wouldn't stay on so they jammed a bunch of srews inder it to hold it on. Several screw holes in attempt to get the trim on straight.

We just put an IPAC in and the quality was very nice. They had the digital analog output for the first scroll wired with the polarity wrong and the condenser supplied wasn't wired for the ecm motor but other than that it was top notch.

Post Likes
    I still like my hussmann cases for servicing access. the cases i love best are the ones where you don't have to remove the entire back wall of the case to wash behind the coil.

Have any of you experienced the back wall of the newer hussmann rl cases icing up more often then the older style of cases?

I hope hill aint going to produce any glass door freezer cases like those tyler had. piping nightmare if you needed to tee off suction line inside of cases.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ORI View Post
    Have any of you experienced the back wall of the newer hussmann rl cases icing up more often then the older style of cases?
    Yes! Extension of drip by 5 min. has been working.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    Yes! Extension of drip by 5 min. has been working.
    Interesting. We had that problem on a couple of ice cream doors. I shall pass the info along!

Post Likes
    be sure to check out the HP tech lit. its all there at a glance.

http://www.hillphoenix.com/techInfo/...tallIndex.html

Post Likes
    How did we get off on Hussman cases? This was a HP thread remember? :P

Post Likes
    absolute Excellence

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    absolute Excellence
    Stupid Flanders!

lolol
    Just jokin'

sorry i just couldnt resist
    DOH!

but yeah hill sucks...

:P

Post Likes
    Cases? bottom of my list. Racks? Top of my list.

Had a customer insist on Hill cases a few years ago. Worst quality I've seen in awhile!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MeÐiC View Post
    Cases? bottom of my list. Racks? Top of my list.

Had a customer insist on Hill cases a few years ago. Worst quality I've seen in awhile!
    Just curious what puts the racks at the top of your list over say a Hussman?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in