Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    this may be the wrong forum but i need to vent. second day waiting for the pool heater "repair" company to come and do a warranty repair. they were the manufacturers recommended company. the pressure switch blew the diaphragm and busted the switch clean in two. found the problem in about 20 seconds. jumped out switch and plugged access fitting in about 6 minutes. company was coming yesterday after 2 pm (!) called at 4:30 to inquire and was told " we work til we're finished, we don't quit at 5:00 you know." needless to say - no show. called this morning and told call back at 9. called back and told call back after 12. called back and told "tech was in your area at 12:30 but it was raining so he moved on. he"ll be there after 2 (!) why not just be honest? i've been in service / repair for almost 20 years. it is always better to just be up front with people. most people would rather hear a hard truth than lines of b.s., wouldn't you? wouldn't you rather hear" we are really busy as it is a seasonal business, we cant get ther until - fill in the blank - and at least you know where you stand. by the way 3:15 and still no repair man on the horizon... i guess another phone call whew! thanks

Not a matter of honesty. How about integrity? Things happen and you should have gotten a call that they were running late. I would call the company and ask for a firm date and time and if they don't show again I would contact the manufacter and inform them of the contractors inability to help you. They may have another dealer to help you. Good luck.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

See it all the time....a piss poor way of doing business IMO. The only time they use the phone to call you and let you know what's up is when they have your bill ready......
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

We know how we feel to be jerked around. It is a safe bet that our customers feel the same way. I try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt, probably being in service business myself. But, if they don't deliver on what THEY'VE told me to expect, h i s t o r y. I would also call the manufacturer and tell them about their 'recommended' contractor. Very frustrating but you would need to let them know the circumstances.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Call the manufacturer and let them know what you told us and tell them it is unacceptable. Then ask for a different service company.

Yep its not right ....they should let you know. Might be one of those deals where its warranty so they wont be making much and their customers come first. If it is warranty ,how come its not original installers coming out ....install but dont fix? yep not right but like a lot , take on warranty only as something when your out of work on your own stuff being it usally pays crap.

Is it me, or is bad service plaguing businesses in general (not just HVAC or construction)? It seems like there is no such thing as customer service anymore. Short of a 5-star hotel, I've given up all hope of finding such a thing anymore. I guess the Wal-Mart mentality (cheap, cheap, cheap, no customer service) is spreading like the plague.

Think a lot is due to more wanting something for nothing. It makes the better stuff so higher priced that most wont pay that much. When the cheap stuff or cheap install goes bad the owner always claims he was willing to pay more for it done right........well now that it didnt work I would pay more.

Originally posted by tpa-fl
    Is it me, or is bad service plaguing businesses in general (not just HVAC or construction)? It seems like there is no such thing as customer service anymore. Short of a 5-star hotel, I've given up all hope of finding such a thing anymore. I guess the Wal-Mart mentality (cheap, cheap, cheap, no customer service) is spreading like the plague.
    Cheap consumers are the cause. Wal*Mart is just delivering what consumers that shop there want. I do not shop there.

Same thing in HVAC and construction. No one wants to spend any money. That should be evident by the outcropping of DIY HVAC websites and storefronts. Look at your average tract home filled with the cheapest stuff the builder can get, yet sold for as much as possible.

Then they complain when it breaks or doesn't work right.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Service in general has become bery poor. Few seem to care--and I am talking about ALL service industries. As long as people are still paying that is good enough I guess. It's really sad. My favorite--- " I called five companies for an estimate, and only two bothered to show up."

i have landed more than a few changeouts just because i was there when i said i would be

and if i was running even 5 min late i called to let them know

I don't think it is the consumer who is the problem, but probably the reverse. Case in point:

When I last moved in '98 every service person I called was too busy to help. Lots of no return calls, broken appointments, etc... since business (the economy) was booming. The few ones I talked to with integretity made it very clear - they had a backlog of big $$$$ customers waiting, so they had little time for my peanut work. I had my best luck with the small guys who were just starting out.

Skip forward a few years - The economy went into the toilet as we came in the 00's. Guess what - some of those companies who were too busy to keep an appointment were now calling me. Others, thankfully, went out of business.

Today the economy, in some places, is getting a bit better and we are keeping things (houses, cars, etc..) longer so we need service. Service businesses are staying busy, in some areas, and lousy business ethics take hold again.

Personally, I never did and never will tolerate lousy service. I take everyone at their word, if you say you are coming after 2pm then I know that you could get caught somewhere. But, I expect a call that day apologizing and trying to reschedule. No call from them, no call from me except to the manufacturer to complain. I'd move on to the next name on the list, or just do it myself.

The ONLY possible exceptions to my rule are with a few highly recommended 1-man shows, who obviously do not have an office staff. Otherwise any 'business' should have better practices.

I'm a one man company, and I call my customers if I'm gonna be late, it's only common courtesy. Of course if a customer can't keep an appointment I expect them to call me and let me know as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast