Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    That stuff is EXPENSIVE! I was reading on a federal website that the cost for doing a new townhome was $13,000, compared to $3,000 for conventional insulation.

I guess the cost would be justified if you were in hurricane alley and were trying to totally seal up the place.

The humidity isn't that awfully high here and we don't have hurricanes (just tornados).

I found the price to vary substantially but usually seemed to be about 3 times the price of fiberglass insulation.

Thats why I recommend netting and dense packing cellulose. About the same R value per inch and will air seal--a lot cheaper.

Uktra, what happens when the cellulose gets wet?

If roof ever leaks

Uktra said:

>>Thats why I recommend netting and dense packing cellulose. About the same R value per inch and will air seal--a lot cheaper.

and then Iceman asked:
    >>Uktra, what happens when the cellulose gets wet?

I would like to figure out the score on that too. And no less, would like to understand what to expect when water gets between the foam and the roof. A roof leak happens often enough that we should prepare for it.

One building teacher used to repeat that insulation loses 50% of its value the moment it gets wet, but I don't know if there is factual backing for that claim. I do believe another has said ominous things *might* happen to Building America type homes when they have a roof leak (insulation at the roofline, probably cellulose not foam).

So what is the true story? What will likely happen in a case like this? Inquiring minds and all that.

Best wishes -- P.Student

If roof ever leaks

Uktra said:

>>Thats why I recommend netting and dense packing cellulose. About the same R value per inch and will air seal--a lot cheaper.

and then Iceman asked:
    >>Uktra, what happens when the cellulose gets wet?

I would like to figure out the score on that too. And no less, would like to understand what to expect when water gets between the FOAM type insulation and the roof sheathing. A roof leak happens often enough that we should prepare for it.

One building teacher used to repeat that insulation loses 50% of its value the moment it gets wet, but I don't know if there is factual backing for that claim. I do believe another has said ominous things *might* happen to Building America type homes when they have a roof leak (insulation at the roofline, probably cellulose not foam).

So what is the true story? What will likely happen in a case like this? Thanks in advance, for the answer to either or both questions!

Best wishes -- P.Student

[Edited by perpetual_student on 07-24-2005 at 11:44 PM]

I just got quoted at $1.80 sq ft for our attic. I'm waiting for another contractor to give me his estimate.

1.80 per sq ft is cheap compared to the quotes I got here at the SC coast. We are about to contract for 2 1/2" of closed cell foam on the roof and knee walls to seal off our attic. I will let everyone know how it works out... I may have to add supplemental dehumidification, but am going to give things a chance to dry out after the foam to see where it levels out.

Two friends in the building business in NJ have reservations about moisture trapped at the foam, but I have done extensive reading and have not found any such reports. Here, where it is hot and humid I am betting the foam will solve my sweating duct problems.

I prefer closed cell foam up to 3 lb density. It is the only foam that I know of that adds structural integrity.

Most all of the foam contractors in this area are using the 2 pound foam. One was using 1.9, but no one above 2.

My take is that as density increases insulation value & strength increases up to 3 lbs density. The contractor I work with advises me per application.

At 2 lb density it is my understanding the R value is 7 per inch. They will be spraying 2 1/2" +/- 1/2". Should have the job done within 3 weeks.

I just got mine done today on a typical hot day in Jax, Fl (95 w/ 95% humidity). 2nd floor was running constantly from 10 am-10 pm set anywhere from 76-78 (sometimes I would just turn it off for 30 minutes to give the unit a break. The temp would increase from 75-78 or 79 through the day despite what it was set on. Today I had it set on 76 and it stayed at 76 throughout.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast