Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 66 to 72 of 72
  1. #66
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Does anybody have any experiance with homes spray foamed on the exterior? There was one in Fine Homes a while back. I've been looking into it but haven't found any info on what to coat the foam with.
    Any advice/links would be appreciated. The local foam contractor doesn't know either but he's interested.

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by clangmiester View Post
    Does anybody have any experiance with homes spray foamed on the exterior? There was one in Fine Homes a while back. I've been looking into it but haven't found any info on what to coat the foam with.
    Any advice/links would be appreciated. The local foam contractor doesn't know either but he's interested.
    Closed cell foam is sprayed on the exterior and a coating is sprayed on it. My friend owns a foam company he uses a titan airless spray gun. The product he uses to spray over the foam he buys from foam enterprise not sure what it is called.

    I know from past experience he does not like to do roofs with it because of problems in the past.

    The louisiana Superdome has a foam roof.
    "Football Season again finally"

  3. #68
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth751 View Post
    Closed cell foam is sprayed on the exterior and a coating is sprayed on it. My friend owns a foam company he uses a titan airless spray gun. The product he uses to spray over the foam he buys from foam enterprise not sure what it is called.

    I know from past experience he does not like to do roofs with it because of problems in the past.

    The louisiana Superdome has a foam roof.
    Could you put me in contact with your friend. I would like to pick his brain a little if he's willing. Could you ask him what the product is that he uses to coat foam on verticle applications. The house in Fine Homes had kind of a stucco look. I've also seen SPF homes that had an adobe look.

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Float'N Vally, MS
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by clangmiester View Post
    The house in Fine Homes had kind of a stucco look. I've also seen SPF homes that had an adobe look.
    Maybe what you are asking is not sprayed foam, but sheet styrofoam panels on the exterior of buildings. This is very common on commerical buildings.
    Styrofoam sheets are attached to the outside of the building and stucco is floated on the outside of that?????

    I am not real crazy about this on a home, because the hurrican showed us how stable this construction was.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

  5. #70
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    Maybe what you are asking is not sprayed foam, but sheet styrofoam panels on the exterior of buildings. This is very common on commerical buildings.
    Styrofoam sheets are attached to the outside of the building and stucco is floated on the outside of that?????

    I am not real crazy about this on a home, because the hurrican showed us how stable this construction was.
    Nope, it was 2 1/2 lb density spray foam over sheeting with a coating that had a stucco look. Sept or Oct issue 2006. I've been trying to find more info about the coating. Spray foam is differant than board insul. I found several products that are used with ICF's and something called Grancrete. These do not stick to spray foam as well as they do insul board. The rep said something about the coatings sticking but not bonding to Spray foam as spray foam is actually a plastic of sorts.

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by clangmiester View Post
    Nope, it was 2 1/2 lb density spray foam over sheeting with a coating that had a stucco look. Sept or Oct issue 2006. I've been trying to find more info about the coating. Spray foam is differant than board insul. I found several products that are used with ICF's and something called Grancrete. These do not stick to spray foam as well as they do insul board. The rep said something about the coatings sticking but not bonding to Spray foam as spray foam is actually a plastic of sorts.
    Put your email in your profile or send me an email and I will email you his contact info. He will be glad to help answer any questions you may have.
    My email is in my profile.
    "Football Season again finally"

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    20

    Foaming

    I have been looking into spraying the underside of the deck with open cell Icynene and was told by the two contractors who do most of that work in the Dallas area not to use closed cell. The cc is more energy efficient but if the roof leaks you end up with a big problem. Open cell will let the leak through so it can be observed and fixed. I was close to pulling the trigger when I found out that my new propane water heater would have to be framed off separately from the attic so it could have its own air supply and exhaust. Also, all my vents that duct into the attic (I know, not good) would have to be run outside.
    I had a manual J done and my house is very tight, actually better than an Energy Star spec. It is passive solar with 2x6 walls, low "e" windows and R38 in the ceiling. I wanted to go to the next level of technology with the foam but the logistics are killing me. I'm having a 16 SEER Amana heat pump installed in my all electric house next week which should get me substantial savings.
    I still like foam but I think the best application for the attic would be in new homes.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event