Thread: VisionPro TStat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I have a Trane 2 stage gas furnace and a Trane single stage A/C unit. The contractor installed a single stage Honeywell thermostat. He set the furnace to run at low stage for 10 minutes and then high stage if more heat is needed.
    The A/c seems to short cycle. Maybe 5-6 time an hour. Runs for 5-7 minutes and shuts off. Is this type of cycling hard on the a/c unit?
    If I were to installed a VisionPro programable t-stat , which model should I install?
    The TH8110, 1 heat, 1 cool, and let the furnace run on a time basis , rather than demand.

Or the TH8320 or what every model cover the two stage heat?
    Does it matter on the multistage t-stats, if the a/c is only single stage and the heat is multi stage?

Post Likes
    Get the 8320, and make sure the dealer sets it up right..

2-stage heat (don't use timer, you'll need another wire.

1-stage cooling..

On this pro, they can set the A/C cycle per hour..

If you have an extra wire, run the common wire and you can have a lit up back light all times.. that needs to be set also..

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gofly
    The A/c seems to short cycle. Maybe 5-6 time an hour. Runs for 5-7 minutes and shuts off. Is this type of cycling hard on the a/c unit?
    Yes, and it means you are getting poor humidity removal.

How was your A/C sized?

Post Likes
    The TH8320/TH8321 stats are "universal" and can easily handle multistage and/or single-stage equipment, including multi heat & just a single stage for cooling if need be. Cycle times can be set in the stat, 'though 5-7 mins per run is terribly inefficient for cooling... sounds like your unit is either oversized or the installer configured the stat wrong. Either way, get the installer back out there & have them correct it.

I don't see any reason to have a multi-stage furnace (or AC) and no practical way to control it.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys for the comments.
    House is aprox 1200 sq ft,+ full basement. SW OHIO
    Basically I had a 2 ton 18 year old a/c unit. I have a black roof , and absolutely no shade on the south side of the house.
    In the summer the a/c would run almost non-stop when temp was above 82 deg. , and with the stat set to , say 74 degrees. It would eventually satify the t-stat after 2-3 hours after the sun went down. I added 12 inches of attic insulation in the fall, so the attic has about 25 inched fiberglass blanket.
    So when discussing with contractor it was decide to go with a 2.5 ton a/c cndenser & coil.( I run a dehumdifier in the basement as well) I must admit I really don't notice any discomfort as far as the humdity is concerned.
    And just looking at mny electric meter , I have only consumed about 60% of electric from last year, under comparable conditions, so I am pleased with the results from the replacement.
    I just thought , that long term , this short cycling would take a toll , on the longevity of the a/c unit.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    With the additional insulation,you may only need a 2 ton,but only a Manual J Load calulation will tell.

Click on the bullseye above to do your own.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gofly
    So when discussing with contractor it was decide to go with a 2.5 ton a/c cndenser & coil.
    How did you decide this?

http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html

Do yourself a favor and ask the contractor if he did a load calculation before installing the 2.5 T system. If not, you need to do one now, and then if necessary, replace the system with the correct size.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in