Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Hi I am new to this type of work, I am currently going to school. I often find myself lost in many of the basics that are required knowledge in HVAC. How long did it take any of you to master it? I am 22 years old and I know very little.

Master it , hardly. I'll never quit learning.

This is one industry that has so many facets that I doubt anyone has ever mastered all of it.

There are many intelligent and well-informed people that come here if you want to learn.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

How many years experience do you have in this field?

It depends

It depends entirely on you...if you have a firm grasp of the obvious and the ability to learn from your mistakes things will go better.

From what I've seen, few, if any of the really experienced guys on this board would say they have completely mastered every aspect of this trade. The ones that swear they know absolutely everything don't usually know as much as they think.

BTW, welcome to the board. There's a wealth of information here.

I still find myself paying school fees at 36 years old. I learned this trade in the field from an older man who would if still doing this the same way would be called a hack. I would have to say I have learned a lot past the basics from this site, enough so to justify a few thank you notes.

Don't worry so much about everything you don't know, just be sure to try to learn something everyday and use what you have learned to help others. You'll get there.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

I have helped take duct work down and install some here and there. I do have a fear of getting shocked while servicing a unit I have noticed my hands shake bad while connecting wires. I guess the more you do it the less you will become fearless. Personally I feel overwhelmed taking the courses at school. I'm the kind of person who wants to jump in it on the job site and learn. To me I should learn quicker that way, instead of book knowledge.

the day you become fearless will probably be your last day on earth....respect it cause it will never respect you! Ohter then that learn everday...listen read and listen...rinse and repeat

Originally posted by kc_1982
    How many years experience do you have in this field?
    I worked for about 3 years in this field at one job, then took night classes (2 years) at a local college and have been with the same company since '94.

If you can work in this industry while attending school, it will make things a lot clearer for you.

If anyone tells you they have "mastered everything" in this trade, ignore them, it is unlikely they have anything worth listening to.

See my sig line for my thoughts on the subject.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have a instructer who is the head boss of all the other HVAC instructers. The guy is a good dang teacher the only downfall is he acts like he knows "everything" and is also very cocky and picky. I cannot learn a thing from teachers like that. I remember making a mistake and he embarrased me infront of the class.

Senior Tech Guest
    Jack of all trades....master of none.

Have you made that mistake since? If not then I would say you have learned something. If you want to have some fun with him look in your books for obscure info and ask him questions about it and watch him squirm. Every time you make a mistake you learn something even if it is just not to do that again.

Try not to get discouraged. some day about the time you really think you know something you will find yourself stading in front of a system thinking what the crap is wrong with this thing and your first year can't find his butt with both hands tied behind his back tech will ask if that wire hanging right there in front of you might be a problem. On that day you will know you getting old.

HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Originally posted by kc_1982
    I have helped take duct work down and install some here and there. I do have a fear of getting shocked while servicing a unit I have noticed my hands shake bad while connecting wires. I guess the more you do it the less you will become fearless. Personally I feel overwhelmed taking the courses at school. I'm the kind of person who wants to jump in it on the job site and learn. To me I should learn quic
    ker that way, instead of book knowledge.
    you have to build a strong foundation before you build a house. just be patient,listen and observe. the day will come when you'll be glad you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast