Differential Pressure Monitoring?

Differential Pressure Monitoring?

Has anyone used or installed a pressure monitoring system (e.g. Baulin tube, Veris, BAPI, Dwyer Magnahelics) in isolation room, clean room, vivariums, biohazards or other applications where maintaining negative or positive pressure is critical?

What type did you use and what did you think of it?

I have done many of these types of installs....I have also used Veris and TSI, Tsi is the bomb when it comes to versatility, the Veris seems to work fine, just has fewer bells and whistles, for me it boiles down to how important and ultimately cost....Veris seemed a bit Redneck, but worked for the lab I was working on (using it as a control input directly to a vfd on and exhaust fan to control the DP from the lab to the corridors)...

What's your question exactly?

If this is a high profile situation, go BacNet TSI....IMHO, one of the better setups out there...http://www.tsi.com/en-1033/applicati...3218/8636.aspx

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Thanks for responding. The TSI unit seems very high end and expensive. I’ve seen people used flutter strips, smoke screen or baulin tube to check that the differential pressure exist. However, the measurement is not continuous, inaccurate, does not provide alarming features and cannot log data to BACNet.

I have several questions:

Is it necessary to use something like the TSI or Veris with all those bells and whistles for lab clean room, hospital TB isolation room or fumed hood room?

What do you think of the Baulin tube? I have heard that installation is very painful but does it provide enough functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Berlamfer View Post
    Thanks for responding. The TSI unit seems very high end and expensive. I’ve seen people used flutter strips, smoke screen or baulin tube to check that the differential pressure exist. However, the measurement is not continuous, inaccurate, does not provide alarming features and cannot log data to BACNet.

I have several questions:

Is it necessary to use something like the TSI or Veris with all those bells and whistles for lab clean room, hospital TB isolation room or fumed hood room?

What do you think of the Baulin tube? I have heard that installation is very painful but does it provide enough functionality?

IMHO, if we are talking isolation rooms, OSHPD would be the governing body that would determine the requirement, I am but a mere service technician...

The system I installed the TSI system on was a county hospital that received a certification for Pandemic services because of the bird flu and other disasters of that nature (can't remember the actual name right now) so it had to communicate with the nurses station and be "live" information...

I don't know what your actual requirements are, nor would I be the one to ask, but you can get ridiculous about it very easily.....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Hi GT,
    I am very new to the HVAC industry and is just trying to learn from experts like you on this forum. Perhaps, I have not asked the right questions. One of the projects that I am working on is for hospital's operating rooms and isolation rooms. I have been asked to recommend one type of pressure monitoring system that would best fit their needs. The requirements/concerns revolve around four things: price, installation complexity, user interface and functionality.

In terms of price, I think the highest to lowest cost system would be something like TSI 8636, Setra RPM, Veris, Magnahelics, Baulin tube, flutter strip. Do you agree?

Installation complexity: Is the Baulin tube the most complex? How long did it take you to install the TSI unit?

User interface: Easiest to understand would be the flutter strip, Setra RPM, Baulin tube, Veris, TSI. Right?

Functionality: I think the most feature packed system may be the TSI and Setra unit but it may have more bells and whistles than what's needed. What do you think?

With so many products out there with different price points, features and functionality, it is quite difficult to decide which one to use without first hand experience. This is why I am relying on experts with first hand experience to help guide me through these initial phases in this industry. Please help. Thank you!

You need to find out who the governing authority is and ask them what their requirements are. Hospitals will not only fall under your local building division code review but probably also have another authority that determines such things as pressurization, which space is negative to what and by how much. Some areas even have a separate code. The veris system is nice but why pay the money for all that if all you need to verify pressure differential is a simple ping-pong ball type system.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I work at a hospital. You will probably find requirements call for a constant monitoring system the logs things. You need to start from that end....what are your actual requirements.

Then you have to ask what you want it to do. Just tell you differential pressure? Or do you want it to control anything? Do you have the means to control air flow? Many older systems don't. You have to maintain air exchange rates so you can't simply reduce supply air.

In short a lot more information about the actual equipment you have is needed. The TB rooms may not need much if the are older and "grandfathered in". The way a TB room is designed today is very different than what was required in the past. Many hospitals are unwilling to upgrade if they can slide by and emplyee PPD skin tests are fine.