Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you ever install a carrier condensing unit,you must install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.And why wouldn't you check to be sure if the evap had a metering device in it before you pressure tested the unit anyway?Never assume anything.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    I find at least 2-3 systems a year that have been running for years with no metering device whatsoever.
    Mark, we just pulled out a lennox coil been running over 10 years and I always like to look if time allows just to see what # piston it was running looked in this one and it was running a number none piston.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Hmm

i had it out of mitshubishi ductless,started it up flood-a-rama?wrapped the condenser with paper,head stayed the same 100 psi...found the bag and orifice in the packet of info.the instruction had me pointing the arrow(stamped on the brass body)opposite of flow of liquid read that 6X and what a pain to flare nut it back of the evap hanging on the wall.reclaimed it...installed it....and recharged it felt complete believe it or not!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Originally posted by hvacfella
    REPLY: I liked his signature so i decided to respond to IT.
    ME: Well, I don't normally read the SIG line, but it makes sense now.

piston left in with TXV

Be aware that RUUD/RHEEM often use a piston down stream from the TXV. I'm thinking it serves the same purpose as the orifice in a distributor.

Best regards....

I looked at a unit the other day, poor cooling, poor humidity removal. High suction, but it was hot and humid in the space. 3 ton condesor, 4 ton coil. I figured it had the 4 ton metering device in it, but I was wrong! It did not have a metering device!
    Bad thing was our company installed it four years ago! I put in a 3 ton orifice, slowed the fan down. It works much better now!

grego, what was the pressure difference between the low/high?

And did you have to recover/add any refrigerant?
    Do you have specs (before and after) the piston installation?

Originally posted by jpb2
    Have heard of that being used as a method of collecting past due payment

hummm kinda like that idea

Originally posted by maxster
    i had it out of mitshubishi ductless,started it up flood-a-rama?wrapped the condenser with paper,head stayed the same 100 psi...found the bag and orifice in the packet of info.the instruction had me pointing the arrow(stamped on the brass body)opposite of flow of liquid read that 6X and what a pain to flare nut it back of the evap hanging on the wall.reclaimed it...installed it....and recharged it felt complete believe it or not!
    Carrier's are a mess like that also. Then again Carrier equals train wreck.

As far as the rest of you, go change your pads. Must be a heavy flow week.

I was on one today Arco Air, its 21 years old the a/h, they block one side of the coil with a pc. of sheet metal so that theres only air going across one side of a-coil flipped on side (its in horiz. position) they did this because foir some reason I was in a rush the a-coil was fipped for horiz. but the top of a-coil extended over drain pan so when it condeses water, water drips on the bottom of a/h then stains ceiling units been like this for 21-years, some I had building for 10 years, apts, heat pump on roof goes, I had replaced about 30 of them, he gets bug up his a** get some hack in replaces unit with a Bryant, left cigs. he put out on rubber roof, disconnect lining on a rubber roof on the sharp corner of it, smoked transformer, had black almost like soot finger prints all over new unit, it wouldnt work on heating side, left 24v "Y" AND "O" WITH NO WIRE NUTS, and left old condenser on roof (I always use crane) guy that owns apts. begged me to come back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12