Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever go to startup an a/c, and theres no Orifice in the liquid line coupling ?!

Post Likes
    Happened to me yesterday. A previous installer set the Cooling Coil and ran the line set , electrical, etc... and all it needed was the Condensing Unit outside. I install the Unit and fire her up only to get pressures reminiscent of bad compressor valves (very high suction and very low discharge), with lots of liquid returning to the compressor. Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum . So, i unscrewed the liquid line Brass Coupling, and wullah....no piston inside ; how nice of the previous Installer.

Post Likes
    happened to me last week... new condos...All HVAC installed and started by former employees. All work fine except one unit that doesnt cool well... What can you do except fix it and move on?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvacfella
    Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum .
    Do you actually believe the missing Orifice caused this scenario?

Post Likes
    I find at least 2-3 systems a year that have been running for years with no metering device whatsoever.

I also find about 1-2 system a year that has a TXV added to it, but still has the orifice in the fitting in the coil.
    Most of the time it is a Carrier system that I find that on. I assume it is because the add on TXV kit Carrier used to supply was sweat fit to the liquid line, and the idiot installers never bothered to take the fitting apart at the coil.
    Most manufacturers TXV kits screw into the fitting where the orifice goes, but I have found that doesn't always guarntee that the installers didn't leave the old orifice in there, lol.

[Edited by mark beiser on 07-12-2005 at 07:06 PM]

Post Likes
    Have heard of that being used as a method of collecting past due payment
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    'I am an animal lover... just happen to like some for dinner
    '

Reply: Hey...i LOVE animals man ; they taste so good !

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum .
    Do you actually believe the missing Orifice caused this scenario?
    Reply: It may have gone into a vaccuum had i waited longer. It was hovering around 5 psi for about 20 seconds... when i shut the unit down.

Post Likes
    '

Are you on drugs?

You just replied to your own thread, with something that has nothing to do with ANY of the posts so far!

Post Likes
    Maybe he actually put the evap coil in too and forgot. ????

Post Likes
    I was always taught that the guy who installs the condensing unit should install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.I wouldn't blame the installers for that one.Whoever installs the condenser should first check to see if there is a metering device,and install the one that comes with the condenser if its matching units.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    '

Are you on drugs?

You just replied to your own thread, with something that has nothing to do with ANY of the posts so far!
    REPLY: I liked his signature so i decided to respond to IT. What are you...the Post Police ?! If you dont like the way this thread is going, leave and take some ExLax.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by eagle1154
    I was always taught that the guy who installs the condensing unit should install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.I wouldn't blame the installers for that one.Whoever installs the condenser should first check to see if there is a metering device,and install the one that comes with the condenser if its matching units.
    Reply: Thats a new one ; to me, when a person installs a Pre-Air Package...its supposed to be complete . Whatever the Cooling Coil sticker says on it for piston size, that is the piston that should be in it. If the future Condensing Unit (not 'Condensor' by the way...) requires a different size piston, then it should be changed out.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mark beiser
    I find at least 2-3 systems a year that have been running for years with no metering device whatsoever.

I also find about 1-2 system a year that has a TXV added to it, but still has the orifice in the fitting in the coil.
    Most of the time it is a Carrier system that I find that on. I assume it is because the add on TXV kit Carrier used to supply was sweat fit to the liquid line, and the idiot installers never bothered to take the fitting apart at the coil.
    Most manufacturers TXV kits screw into the fitting where the orifice goes, but I have found that doesn't always guarntee that the installers didn't leave the old orifice in there, lol.

[Edited by mark beiser on 07-12-2005 at 07:06 PM]
    I had this happen to me today. 3.5 ton Bryant slab coil with txv and a #79 piston also. Nice.

Post Likes
    If you ever install a carrier condensing unit,you must install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.And why wouldn't you check to be sure if the evap had a metering device in it before you pressure tested the unit anyway?Never assume anything.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mark beiser
    Mark, we just pulled out a lennox coil been running over 10 years and I always like to look if time allows just to see what # piston it was running looked in this one and it was running a number none piston.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

Hmm

i had it out of mitshubishi ductless,started it up flood-a-rama?wrapped the condenser with paper,head stayed the same 100 psi...found the bag and orifice in the packet of info.the instruction had me pointing the arrow(stamped on the brass body)opposite of flow of liquid read that 6X and what a pain to flare nut it back of the evap hanging on the wall.reclaimed it...installed it....and recharged it felt complete believe it or not!
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    REPLY: I liked his signature so i decided to respond to IT.
    ME: Well, I don't normally read the SIG line, but it makes sense now.

Post Likes

piston left in with TXV

Be aware that RUUD/RHEEM often use a piston down stream from the TXV. I'm thinking it serves the same purpose as the orifice in a distributor.

Best regards....

Post Likes
    I looked at a unit the other day, poor cooling, poor humidity removal. High suction, but it was hot and humid in the space. 3 ton condesor, 4 ton coil. I figured it had the 4 ton metering device in it, but I was wrong! It did not have a metering device!
    Bad thing was our company installed it four years ago! I put in a 3 ton orifice, slowed the fan down. It works much better now!

Post Likes
    grego, what was the pressure difference between the low/high?

And did you have to recover/add any refrigerant?
    Do you have specs (before and after) the piston installation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in