Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happened to me yesterday. A previous installer set the Cooling Coil and ran the line set , electrical, etc... and all it needed was the Condensing Unit outside. I install the Unit and fire her up only to get pressures reminiscent of bad compressor valves (very high suction and very low discharge), with lots of liquid returning to the compressor. Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum . So, i unscrewed the liquid line Brass Coupling, and wullah....no piston inside ; how nice of the previous Installer.

happened to me last week... new condos...All HVAC installed and started by former employees. All work fine except one unit that doesnt cool well... What can you do except fix it and move on?

Originally posted by hvacfella
    Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum .
    Do you actually believe the missing Orifice caused this scenario?

I find at least 2-3 systems a year that have been running for years with no metering device whatsoever.

I also find about 1-2 system a year that has a TXV added to it, but still has the orifice in the fitting in the coil.
    Most of the time it is a Carrier system that I find that on. I assume it is because the add on TXV kit Carrier used to supply was sweat fit to the liquid line, and the idiot installers never bothered to take the fitting apart at the coil.
    Most manufacturers TXV kits screw into the fitting where the orifice goes, but I have found that doesn't always guarntee that the installers didn't leave the old orifice in there, lol.

[Edited by mark beiser on 07-12-2005 at 07:06 PM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Have heard of that being used as a method of collecting past due payment
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

'I am an animal lover... just happen to like some for dinner
    '

Reply: Hey...i LOVE animals man ; they taste so good !

Originally posted by jultzya
    Tried pumping the system down, and it wouldnt go into a vaccuum .
    Do you actually believe the missing Orifice caused this scenario?
    Reply: It may have gone into a vaccuum had i waited longer. It was hovering around 5 psi for about 20 seconds... when i shut the unit down.

'

Are you on drugs?

You just replied to your own thread, with something that has nothing to do with ANY of the posts so far!

Maybe he actually put the evap coil in too and forgot. ????

I was always taught that the guy who installs the condensing unit should install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.I wouldn't blame the installers for that one.Whoever installs the condenser should first check to see if there is a metering device,and install the one that comes with the condenser if its matching units.

Originally posted by jultzya
    '

Are you on drugs?

You just replied to your own thread, with something that has nothing to do with ANY of the posts so far!
    REPLY: I liked his signature so i decided to respond to IT. What are you...the Post Police ?! If you dont like the way this thread is going, leave and take some ExLax.

Originally posted by eagle1154
    I was always taught that the guy who installs the condensing unit should install the metering device that comes with the condensing unit.I wouldn't blame the installers for that one.Whoever installs the condenser should first check to see if there is a metering device,and install the one that comes with the condenser if its matching units.
    Reply: Thats a new one ; to me, when a person installs a Pre-Air Package...its supposed to be complete . Whatever the Cooling Coil sticker says on it for piston size, that is the piston that should be in it. If the future Condensing Unit (not 'Condensor' by the way...) requires a different size piston, then it should be changed out.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    I find at least 2-3 systems a year that have been running for years with no metering device whatsoever.

I also find about 1-2 system a year that has a TXV added to it, but still has the orifice in the fitting in the coil.
    Most of the time it is a Carrier system that I find that on. I assume it is because the add on TXV kit Carrier used to supply was sweat fit to the liquid line, and the idiot installers never bothered to take the fitting apart at the coil.
    Most manufacturers TXV kits screw into the fitting where the orifice goes, but I have found that doesn't always guarntee that the installers didn't leave the old orifice in there, lol.

[Edited by mark beiser on 07-12-2005 at 07:06 PM]
    I had this happen to me today. 3.5 ton Bryant slab coil with txv and a #79 piston also. Nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast