+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane Everyware

Post Likes
    What type of cable or interface device is required to connect to the box or controller? I have the everyware software just no cable. I have connected to a varitrac CCP before with a cable and a telephone jack on the board or at the sensor. The system I have has a Binary input controller with no jack and it looks like someone was connecting directly to the com. bus. The sensors have jacks but I do not think they are wired back to the box.

Post Likes
    everywhere is obsolete buy a rover kit with proper cables and software and yes you attatch directly to the comm.

Post Likes
    If you are looking at connecting to the Varitrac controler just use Term. mode and get this wire kit from a Trane supply house Trane PN KBA41590005 this is sooo much easier than using E-W (cable kit is about 90.00)
    If you dont have term mode, I could e-mail it to you.

Post Likes
    Eware was used/is for connecting to comm4 bus.
    I believe new varitrac CCP and tracker can be ordered as Comm4 or "Trane" LON Comm5 which needs Rover.

So depending on what you have you need the right software.
    Sounds like you have the LON stuff.

Post Likes
    amigo:

This system does not have a ccp. It is 2002 stuff. It just has a binary input controller which is connected to a standard time clock and a comm bus that connects to several VCEE pressure independent boxes. I believe that the problems the customer is experiencing is associated with the boxes. I need to see what the boxes are doing and how they are set up. I have the E-ware software just not the cable and and converter. Someone told me I could get a generic RS-232 to RS-485 converter. How then do I connect this to the boxes? Any idea's

Post Likes
    I am not too sure about a standard RS232 to RS485 (I have only used (Long ago) Trane's "Black" Eware converter). I beleive it is true that comm4 is RS485 but Trane normally throws something in there to lock it up, so I guess you can try a standard converter and see what happens.
    Depending on the converter you get you need a null modem cable (crossover) or straight serial cable between RS232 port of your computer and converter then take the Rx and TX lines of rs485 port of converter and connect to comm bus of VCEEs.

What is controlling the RTU ?
    Depending on your site setup there is probably something that co-ordinates heat and cool calls, tells boxes whether they got hot or cold air coming and controls the RTU and Bypass damper if there is one.
    Normally this is the job of CCP.
    Good Luck.

Post Likes
    It is a 80 ton condenser with built up air handler. Condenser is discharge air controlled by controls in condenser to maintain 55 degrees. Indoor blower has VFD controlled off of discharge static. As the boxes satisfy the static goes up the VFD slows the blower, the supply temp drops and compressors start cylcing down. These boxes have re-heat in them.It is my understanding that all the binary input controller does is allows the boxes to be calibrated and also does some sort of reset of supply temperature off of outside air or return air.

I've installed similar systems but alwayss had a CCP or Tracker to interface with.

Post Likes
    We use a standard 232 to 485 converter from Black box - then a standard modem cable as a 25pin to 9pin adapter. Eware should work for those boxes. you said the comm link is not connected between the tstat and th vavs? You'll to find a way to access the link. I would look to pickup Rover if you can - you can buy comm4 only software which is cheaper than the full version. You maybe able to sell it to the customer so it can be left onsite. You may have problem with eware and windows2000orXP I'm thinking there was something funny about it.Don't really remember.

Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you have a VAV comand unit. Are you sure there is no jack of some sort on the board. Its been about a year and a half since worked on one but you can look at the vav via the command unit with out Eware. I'm unsure at this point how deep you can dig in the VAVs with it. I've only worked on few of the adding and setting up new VAVs and its been quite some time. You can connect to the command unit with a 9pin serial cable. You may need a 9pin to RJ11 cable. Sorry its been a while since I've connected to one. You don't need any software other than hyper terminal. The command unit allows you to control the contol state of the VAVs with binary input with out any other control system. It will tell the VAV whether the system is unoccupied/occupied. Unit is running in heating or cooling, recalibration schedule and some other things. If you are interested I can probably dig up a PDF of the manual of the command unit.

[Edited by willf650 on 07-14-2005 at 08:33 PM]

Post Likes
    If you can get a model or serial number from that device (even a picture would help) I could let you know if you have a "command unit" (first version in metal enclosure) or VaritracII (second version in resin enclosure, door swings open).
    If you replace any of the VAV cards and it is a command unit, you will need Rover 5.0 with a minimum of service pack 2 to be able to program it correct. Your local Trane office should be able to do it as a service call in a couple of hours instead of selling you Rover. (it shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to program, and check once they are at the VAV)
    Best to program these off the link (disconnect it from the comm link at the VAV)if it is a command unit.

Good luck.

Post Likes

BIC Controller

There is no way to hook directly through the Binary (Bic)
    VAV controller. You have to hook directly to the comm link.
    Remember i's polarity sensitive!The above post about the 232-485 Black box device is right it will work. The cable is a strait through serial connection using only 2 wires. Eware and WIN2000 or XP is a gamble. I've seen it work and I've seen it not work. I've made a DOS boot disk with Eware copied to it(It's a DOS Program) so just copy the install from the computer you have it on. Boot from the disc and run Eware.You will have to save any config to the disc as DOS won't see a Win2000 or XP formated harddrive.

Post Likes
    Personally I would not use Eware on a VAV card that is version 4.0 and above. You are will not be able to see some things using old software on new hardware.
    Eware doesn't work on W2000 or XP because the operating system has such tight control of the comm port. Rover is designed for W2000 so it using the correct programming techniques.
    What are you referring to with "Bic".
    Some Zone Sensors have a communications jack built into them, but it needs to be wired to the VAV card to work. It's an option that is not usually wired. Usually if you need to connect with Rover/eware, there is something wrong so your going to be at the VAV card anyways..

Post Likes
    BIC is another Trane acronym for Binary Input Controller
    This is a stand alone Command Unit (get this) without any local interface. It must be hooked to a comm-3 link to a tracer. Of course Rover is the best interface just cost
    someone $$ if they have eware most likely on this job they
    can get away with using that to check or replace a VAV board. If you are working on Trane products Comm-4 , Comm-5
    get a new laptop and Rover V5 Service Pack 5. With servive pack 5 you can commission LON jobs and do bindings to others like Serria Monitor.

Post Likes
    Ahh, I have not heard anyone within Trane call anything a BIC (and we love our acronym's).

Post Likes

Trane E-Ware

I'd suggest you invest in Trane's Rover software. Then you can access the VAV's if it doesn't have a CCP or VAV command unit. Hard to believe the VAVs are stand alone. Do they have their aux sensors installed upstream? This way they will know if there is heat comming up the pipe and close down when cooling is desired if not connected to a VAV command unit or CCP. Are they possibly connected to a Comfort Manager? (old stuff, before CCP's) I'm assuming they aren't connected to a Tracer Summit.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by smokies
    We use a standard 232 to 485 converter from Black box - then a standard modem cable as a 25pin to 9pin adapter. Eware should work for those boxes. you said the comm link is not connected between the tstat and th vavs? You'll to find a way to access the link. I would look to pickup Rover if you can - you can buy comm4 only software which is cheaper than the full version. You maybe able to sell it to the customer so it can be left onsite. You may have problem with eware and windows2000orXP I'm thinking there was something funny about it.Don't really remember.

Good Luck.
    Thanks, Black box worked great!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by daveadd
    BIC is another Trane acronym for Binary Input Controller
    This is a stand alone Command Unit (get this) without any local interface. It must be hooked to a comm-3 link to a tracer. Of course Rover is the best interface just cost
    someone $$ if they have eware most likely on this job they
    can get away with using that to check or replace a VAV board. If you are working on Trane products Comm-4 , Comm-5
    get a new laptop and Rover V5 Service Pack 5. With servive pack 5 you can commission LON jobs and do bindings to others like Serria Monitor.
    I spoke with a TRANE rep and they said that Summit was the only way to communicate with Isolated Comm3 for the VAV-I's. If that is correct, then why did you mention in the post that Rover is the best?

Post Likes
    I just looked back through the posts looking for VAV-1 references and could only find VCEE which *might be VAV-1 or 2/3.
    If it is a VAV-1 card, specify it..
    VAV Command Units can talk to VAV-1's But in Summit land, only an non-isolated Comm 3 link will.

VAV-1's are not supported with the BMTX. (and probably not in future devices either).

Post Likes
    I know the Everywhere software will talk to VAV-1 boards I've done it. The funny thing it does is push the comm link to 9600 baud and you must power down the VAV box and power up to get it back to the default 1200 baud to talk to an old VAV command unit. All Trane VAV tool are backward compatable.

Post Likes
    I'm still looking for a way to get a copy of the E-Ware Program. ... Any ideas out there?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in