This is a new one to me....one of my dealers has a customer with a complete Infinity System (MVP, TDB, Infinity control). He is very happy with the system, but wants to run a whole house dehumidifier, AprilAire model #2200. Does anyone have any experience with this particular set up? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Why

This system will go down to 46%.

The Infinity system will accept a setpoint that low, but can't always reach it in every application.

My Infinity system at home has no trouble maintaining 46%. The Infinity system that we put in my condo association's clubhouse (half basement, half above ground, heavy shade from trees, Georgia climate) can't get below about 58% except in a heat wave, though. Just too much latent load relative to the sensible load, even with three degrees of overcooling.

We don't have a central dehumidifier on it, but I have started to wonder lately myself how you would implement one.

[Edited by wyounger on 07-12-2005 at 04:22 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I don't think Infinity is set up to control it.I don't see a problem having it operate indendently,I would located it's sensor close to the Ifinities,and be sure they were both calibrated very closely.

Originally posted by wyounger
    The Infinity system will accept a setpoint that low, but can't always reach it in every application.

My Infinity system at home has no trouble maintaining 46%. The Infinity system that we put in my condo association's clubhouse (half basement, half above ground, heavy shade from trees, Georgia climate) can't get below about 58% except in a heat wave, though. Just too much latent load relative to the sensible load, even with three degrees of overcooling.

We don't have a central dehumidifier on it, but I have started to wonder lately myself how you would implement one. [Edited by wyounger on 07-12-2005 at 04:22 PM]
    I would be interested in demonstrating how a central dehu would work on your club house. It would help to know the sq.ft., cfm of ventilation, and number of occupants. We mfg. systems for classrooms, small bussinesses, etc. TB

Aprilaire Dehumidifier

The Aprilaire dehumidifier Model 1700 is controlled by an internal dewpoint sensor. The only external control that can be attached to the 1700 is the optional Aprilaire Model 70 Living Space Control.

The 1700 can be set to maintain a dewpoint between 65 F (less dry) and 40 F (more dry). The RH that this corresponds to will depend on the room temperature.

A typical installation is to duct the 1700 into the return and supply plenums, this lets the internal dewpoint sensor measure the conditions of return air from throughout the house.

Thanks for the replies...

Why the need for a central dehumidifier with an Infinity system, which does a fantastic job of wringing moisture out of the air?? Good question.

This particular house is one of several owned by a cash laden defense attorney, and there is more brick work on the interior than most homes have on the exterior. This brick work along with heavy shade seems to be the cause of a heavy moisture issue, especially in the finished basement. Mold was once an issue, but they have gotten that under control.

Dash, I hear what you are saying....but how would you tie into fan on the MVP?

Thanks again

Our utility has a moisture control expert. As he put it, you can have the fanciest A/C on the market but if it ain't on, it won't help you dehumidify. So in mild, humid weather, a unit may be running under 50% of the time. Doesn't do you much good drying the house the other 50% of the time. That's why these "whole house" units from Thermastor and this Aprilaire are becoming popular. Only other solution is reheat. Run the big unit in cooling and have strips come on to temper the air.

just to follow up for others wanting to do this:

the only way we found to run the central dehumidifier in conjunction with the Infinity System was to power the dehumidifier through its own 120 volt supply and control that supply through the board's EAC terminals and a 120 volt relay.