Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Payson, do you work for a C-2000 company? I used to work for one and your days sound all too familiar.

It may sound hokey, but "that's the life of a technician" if you're willing to make it be that way." Management will let you keep doing this until YOU tell them you won't. Since they're pocketing the money you're bringing in to them, I'm willing to bet they're not going to bring it up first.

Payson, the level of crap you put up at in your job is not healthy or sustainable. It will wreck your marriage, your health, and your desire to keep doing this for a living.

I'm not in the HVAC business -- but believe me when I say this sort of thing occurs in every field in one way or another. But that doesn't make it sane. Change employers before you burn yourself out, man.

Originally posted by PaysonHVAC
    [

DUCKMAN, do you STILL work there doing them 24/7 PM's? [/B]
    Hell no! I couldn't stand it there. I went to work for a resort in Phoenix.

I'd be considering opening up shop. My wife is my dispatcher & we dont do weekends. I figure if we bust our butts mon thru friday. We're not gonna lose that much on weekends. Doing PM's on saturday & sunday is ridiculous. Anybody doing the quality work you do, couldnt help but be a success.

Payson,
    What you are doing right now is why I went to the city. I am in ohio. Yes, the summer can be hot and very hummid. That is when I would put in 40 to 60 hr weeks. Then in the winter just after thanksgiving my hours would get cut to 20hr weeks. Yes, it does get cold here. This last winter was -3deg. That is when the calls would come in. Then they would stop. It's hard to support a family on 20hr weeks. Now that I work for the city, it is just 40hr a week and I am always on call but if they call I don't have to go in. I did take a pay cut taking this job, but all of the bennies and vacation time made it well worth it.

[Edited by rushin on 07-12-2005 at 09:48 PM]

I feel for you and i think it is time to look for commercial-Ind contractor to work for. Your talent is being waisted in those attics. I would look for another job then nail the boss to the table and tell him what you will or wont do for the company.

I am a supermarket refer-man and i would never consider sat or sun maint. I work alot, maybe 60-70 hours a week also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not attics and resi. The boss will push till you push back........so push!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Payson we have not forgot to call you, just been so damn busy... Hey that unit sure looks like yours?

I think ya just need to find a company that understands your Human, and can only do what is Humanly possible in the Desert heat, I got Lucky and found that in Vegas Payson, there out there, just investigate, when I first moved out here I was working 21 days on 2 days off in the summer months, did that for 4 yrs straight, needless to say got burnt out, Ticket time pay was great , tickiting 30-40 hrs in a day, but the 15-17 calls a day was brutal.

I hear ya about the senior tech stuff also, and how other less skilled techs will just give up becuase they know you carry a bucket and mop in your service van for clean up on aisle 4, I got the same stuff.Until I started refusing other techs call backs, Im all for educating and Helping an individual better there skills, but Im not going to sweat my cahoneys off in a 140 degree attic because some other tech cant/wont try to figure out a control board problem, or remove a restriction in the piston up in a attics evap coil.

I got my company pretty well trained, they know I only do a certain amount of jobs a day, they know I only work monday through friday, and take oncall once every 10 weeks. In return, I give them quality work, done ontime, done correct the first time, fill out all paper work properly so accounting has no problems, and Theres never no cash missing from my tickets that are turned in, this may sound like what every tech should be doing, but my god out here it hard to find quality service techs, and we have a company in Phoenix also , and the same problem is there.

If your very knowledgeable in the field wich it sounds like you are, go out on your own, its amazing how much dough a small start up company can make, as long as you are honest and the work is quality, and the price is fair, this way you can dictate what hrs and what work ya want to do, yes it involves a little time and some personal expense, but the payoff may be what your looking for.I have a buddy who owns his own company here, has ran it for yrs now , just himself, he does what he is good at , doesnt take on any cluster f...k jobs, just basically does change outs and svc of residential and some light commercial accounts, and he pulls 150-200K a year,and this is the kicker, its really part time for Him, he actually is a Engineer for the school district out here in clark county also, so that goes to show there is money to be made, and ya dont have to kill yourself making it.Ill stop babbling now, just wanted to let ya know many of us have been down the road you have and are traveling on, Hang in there.

Payson,
    How hot are the attics you go in when it's a really hot (say 110 degrees) outside? Are there any special rules for when it's over a certian temp, no attic work? I recently had a new AHU installed in my attic on a 90+ day with high RH. Was about 130 in the attic. The two installers drank about 6 bottles of water each.

"I hear ya about the senior tech stuff also, and how other less skilled techs will just give up becuase they know you carry a bucket and mop in your service van for clean up on aisle 4,..."

Too funny.
    I have to say what sucks is when a tech who don't know how to do that stuff DOES get stuck you'd THINK they'd send him back WITH you???
    Nope. You go and fix it by yourself so the other guy can move on to another call, maintenance, whatever. They'd rather not spend the time having you both back there so that guy could learn something even though you and I know it would pay off in the future many times over!

As far as attic temps. holy sheep sheet it gets damn HOT!!!

On a HOT day. Get in your car with all the windows UP.

That's a Phoenix attic for you!!!!

Payson. Did you ever stop and think that they may be trying to get you to quit?

For how skilled Payson sounds, they would be silly to loose a skilled technician as himself, considering the lack of quality technicians out here in the desert.

And York hvac, as far as attic temps, Here in Vegas is basically the same in Phoenix, although Phoenix may get a bit more hotter, but I have recorded attic temps from the range of 125-140 degrees and this was this past week in the record heat we have had, and half of my jobs each day are in the attic, so I know the grief.

And Payson, yes it is funny how that callback crap works, go fix somone elses callback, instead of you being on a fresh call for the company making money, while the flunke is doing just that, go figure.

Payson, Ever think about Florida? I have a business partner who wants to invest and start a mechanical company in Florida, perhaps Dade County. He's flipping for everything, building, vehicles, advertising, everything,just wants me to get the best people to make it happen. He's investing in condo's too, so immediate housing, not a problem. Hell, I'd pay you whatever you wanted, and let you run the service department, any way you wanted!! I have a few guys that wanna jump on board. Thought it to be a pipe dream, but the more I think about it, it scares me cause it could happen. He's there now scoping things out. I've been checking on getting what it would take to get a license there, if my Michigan one would transfer, or if I have to test out anyways. Just a thought!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast