Trane RTU Economizer

Boss called me with a question..i do not know the details

can you wire or control a trane RTU economizer to open on demand? Guy wants to bring in fresh air when he fires up his smoker, cooker, roaster (not sure which one)

basically flip a switch and have the damper controls overrode and go to full open.

suppose you can

you'll have to wire around the enthalpy/temp controller
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Depends on the model of the unit, some have a connection for a remote potentiometer for the minimum position, that could be connected to a switch to drive it fully open.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Is this so he can turn off his hood ?

Is this a lga120 unit? Ya... Why if his hood is working properly? He shouldn't be having issues with smoke going in the return.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    Is this a lga120 unit? Ya... Why if his hood is working properly? He shouldn't be having issues with smoke going in the return.
    I'm betting that this is a unit covering a dining room. Open up the economizer and bring fresh air into the space, the exhaust hood pulls the air towards the kitchen and helps keep the smoke and smells under control.

Either that or he's wanting to do it to help pull the excess heat towards the hood. we do that at the place I work when we have everything running under the hood as it can get quite hot on the prep line. We just open a big window in the kitchen and shut the MUA fans down and let the exhaust fans pull all the fresh air in and keep the heat pulled towards the hood and not out into the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by stebs View Post
    I'm betting that this is a unit covering a dining room. Open up the economizer and bring fresh air into the space, the exhaust hood pulls the air towards the kitchen and helps keep the smoke and smells under control.

Either that or he's wanting to do it to help pull the excess heat towards the hood. we do that at the place I work when we have everything running under the hood as it can get quite hot on the prep line. We just open a big window in the kitchen and shut the MUA fans down and let the exhaust fans pull all the fresh air in and keep the heat pulled towards the hood and not out into the kitchen.
    If the hoods MUA is balanced properly this should not be a problem. I do see your window point though. I don't think the Health Dept. would

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    wrong manufacturer bro lol ...... that m# is brainwashed into your soul forever like it is mine i bet lol

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    If the hoods MUA is balanced properly this should not be a problem. I do see your window point though. I don't think the Health Dept. would
    that pretty much nails it & what my response would b to the question . . .

all good questions...

I dont know?...could be?...this may be the case?

I will try and get a M and S during the Monday morning meeting. Boss man mentioned the older ones you could use a remote potentiometer and if this was the same for this model thats is what we would do.