Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I had a guy from a large company....let's call it Awful Rotten Services.....come out today to give me a quick estimate on replacing the furnace in the house I'm about to buy, and he told me that my ductwork was violating city codes. I asked him how exactly they were violating codes, and he replied that there wasn't sufficient insulation. I asked about re-insulating the existing ducts, and he said that I wouldn't be able to find a company to do it, and that I should have it replaced with flex. I'm thinking this was a complete line of BS, and that sheetmetal ducts are fully compliant with code. Right?

PS I called Awful Rotten Services because I want a quick, high, estimate to stick in front of the sellers. I have no intentions of using Awful Rotten Services. I fully intend to find a small/medium size reputable firm to do the work when I get ready to have it done in February or March.

Code and hard ducts

Either is fine when ductwork is well designed and installed. But you are definitely being handed a line of BS.

-- P.Student

[Edited by perpetual_student on 07-11-2005 at 10:34 PM]

Probably just another starving salesman trying to add some fluff to a job. That pitch probably works about 10% of the time so he makes a extra dime or two every now and then. I can see the poor old widow woman tossing and turning in her bed unable to sleep because the guy told her that the DUCT IS NOT UP TO CODE big whoopee probably 75% of the duct in that area does not meet the letter of the code. Now get that duct fixed right away man before the code boys get on ya

Originally posted by about2buyahouse
    I had a guy from a large company....let's call it Awful Rotten Services.....
    You not getting them mixed up with American Reaming Services
    are you?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    I had a guy from a large company....let's call it Awful Rotten Services.....
    You not getting them mixed up with American Reaming Services
    are you?
    Come to think of it, the truck said....

"Awful Rotten Services, a Subsidiary of American Reaming Services"

LOL

PS I called Awful Rotten Services because I want a quick, high, estimate to stick in front of the sellers. I have no intentions of using Awful Rotten Services. I fully intend to find a small/medium size reputable firm to do the work when I get ready to have it done in February or March. [/B]
    If this was your intention, to jam the seller, Then you get whats coming to you. I suggest you use them to fix whatever ails you. If they are as good at reaming people,as you are then you should feel right at home.

Would you want someone to jam you on the sale of a house ?

Treat people as you would expect to be treated.
    Things usaully go better.

[Edited by Toolpusher on 07-11-2005 at 10:05 PM]
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

PS I called Awful Rotten Services because I want a quick, high, estimate to stick in front of the sellers. I have no intentions of using Awful Rotten Services. I fully intend to find a small/medium size reputable firm to do the work when I get ready to have it done in February or March.

you sir, are an *******.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

"is" an *******? "am" an *******?

hell, i don't know.

[Edited by billva on 07-11-2005 at 10:08 PM]

Yes he are 1,
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

PS I called Awful Rotten Services because I want a quick, high, estimate to stick in front of the sellers. I have no intentions of using Awful Rotten Services. I fully intend to find a small/medium size reputable firm

awful rotten services and awful rotten buyer
    i realy would like to know your point here. you put down a guy that may or may not be correct. and then tell us how you plan to rip off the seller. then to top it all off you plan on useing the cheapest guy you can find. so you have waisted our time and the guy that was there time to. it is possible he thinks he gave you honest advice and you are the dishonest one. this is how i see this and i hope you get what you deserve
    god is watching and all of us will have to answer to him someday

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    i realy would like to know your point here. you put down a guy that may or may not be correct.
    My point is, is this line about insufficient insulation on ductworks a code violation. I put somebody down? Who?
    and then tell us how you plan to rip off the seller.

How is it a rip off? The seller is free to come back with paying half the estimate, none at all, getting their own estimate, or hiring hackjob Harry to do a cheap slapdash install and I'm left with a pile of junk furnace.

then to top it all off you plan on useing the cheapest guy you can find.

No, I don't, and I never said that.

so you have waisted our time and the guy that was there time to.

You're the one that took the time to post a reply....I didn't force you to click on the link.

it is possible he thinks he gave you honest advice and you are the dishonest one.

I'm posting here to see if it really was honest advice that came across the wrong way.....

this is how i see this

Time to clean your glasses.

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    If this was your intention, to jam the seller, Then you get whats coming to you. I suggest you use them to fix whatever ails you. If they are as good at reaming people,as you are then you should feel right at home.

My intention was to get a quote that was high so I would have room to negotiate down. I've heard they're on the high side....but I really don't know if they're high, low or in the middle since diskussion of price is verboten on here.

Would you want someone to jam you on the sale of a house ?

Nobody is forced to buy or sell a house. I have walked from bad deals.

So would I still be a terrible person if I got a quote from Central City Air who is also supposedly sky high, but does great work? What's wrong with asking the seller to pay for a quality job?

Its the way you said it that makes it sound like your trying to screw the seller.

Nothing wrong with room to negoiate.

Why didn't you get a price from central city, and then have it done right.

Also, your duct insulation may not be up to the new energy code, but grandfathered.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

About you are correct about the line being BS. The city or state cannot make you upgrade the insulation on your ductwork. If it is metal duct with very old insulation it definitely does not meet current energy code requirements.

As to the statement that you cannot find anyone to re-insulate your ductwork is a load. I do it all the time by the way I am better and less expensive than CCA.

You do not want to replace good metal duct with flex you will be very disappointed if you do.

Beenthere is right I think how you stated your intentions came across wrong. Some on here look for the slightest excuse to pounce on a homeowner.

So after all these months and many false starts you have finally decided on a house?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast