Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello techs,I am an auto tech and no stranger to AC systems and electricity.Any help would be greatly appreciated.(I'm SWEATING !)My Trane XE 1000 compressor seems to be seized.When called to be on,it hums and will dim the lights in the house until it internally trips.I have traced voltage to the 3 wires going into the compressor and have volts(110) at all 3 wires.The unit is only 10 yrs old.Could this possibly be one of the controls preventing the compressor to start or is it definitely time to replace the compressor? Thank You in advance for your time and if I can answer an auto question,don't hesitate to ask.
    AL BLUME
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Forum Rules

[Edited by lusker on 07-09-2005 at 09:01 PM]

You could try a hard start kit.

I would assume the system is 220 volts,I'm curious as to why you only have 110 at the terminals

igwt777 is offline Professional Member - T&B bad email address
    Originally posted by bikeral
    Hello techs,I am an auto tech and no stranger to AC systems and electricity.Any help would be greatly appreciated.(I'm SWEATING !)My Trane XE 1000 compressor seems to be seized.When called to be on,it hums and will dim the lights in the house until it internally trips.I have traced voltage to the 3 wires going into the compressor and have volts(110) at all 3 wires.The unit is only 10 yrs old.Could this possibly be one of the controls preventing the compressor to start or is it definitely time to replace the compressor? Thank You in advance for your time and if I can answer an auto question,don't hesitate to ask.
    AL BLUME
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Forum Rules

[Edited by lusker on 07-09-2005 at 09:01 PM]
    This is a 3ph condenser or single ph. You stated 110 volts at all three lines (to Ground???)

Originally posted by eagle1154
    I would assume the system is 220 volts,I'm curious as to why you only have 110 at the terminals
    Probably because he is checking it with the unit off or contactor not engaged and he is getting 110 feedback from all terminals would be my guess.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

If you check to ground, you will have 115v to ground at all terminals, even with it turned off at the thermostat.

When you turn it on, does the condensor fan run?

It may be as simple as a bad run capacitor.

Best to call a professional.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I'm with mark, call a pro. Could be seized, capacitor, or need hard start kit. Pros know!!!

Ditto Mark, and dexman.

Sounds like a capacitor, is it blowing the breaker? A hard start kit might also do the trick.
    "Go big or Go Home"

He's use to working on 12 volt DC systems, he was checking it to ground.

Originally posted by jultzya
    He's use to working on 12 volt DC systems, he was checking it to ground.
    Ditto.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks to all who responded.I really thought it would be a simple diagnosis especially since the house lights dim when compressor attempts to engage. Mark B. asked an important question of me."Does the compessor fan run?" It does NOT.Thinking about this gives me a different perspective.If compressor was seized,how does that relate to fan not running.Maybe it's not compressor after all.Guess I will call a pro.As for voltage readings,I was reading with one lead grounded.Thanks,AL

If the condensor fan also doesn't run, the problem is probably a bad run capacitor. Those units use a dual run capacitor that has the capacitor for the compressor and the fan motor all in one case.
    Run capacitors are the most common electrical failure in condensing units, regardless of brand.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast