Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Got a friend who has a Carrier 50QT218300 Thru-Wall Heat Pump that is 20+ years old .
    This product is obsolete. Does Carrier make a replacement unit to fit into the existing wall opening? Are there any other manufacturers that make units to fit? I heard that Fredricks had one. Any body know where to get anything at all to fit?
    Thanks,
    Powerhead

i think armstrong makes one.

i'm not sure of the dimensions.

try r.e. michaels, united refrigeration or j-mart.

Tell us the dimensions, we can tell you more.

We just replaced a Carrier in a church last week. We used a Trane through the wall as the replacement and it fit the Carrier sleeve perfect. The only modifying we had to do was mount the grill on the outside instead of in the sleeve. When it was finished it made a really sweet job. Took about 45 minutes to do complete swap.

Originally posted by hyper_racing
    We just replaced a Carrier in a church last week. We used a Trane through the wall as the replacement and it fit the Carrier sleeve perfect. The only modifying we had to do was mount the grill on the outside instead of in the sleeve. When it was finished it made a really sweet job. Took about 45 minutes to do complete swap.
    Do you have a model number?

If you're talking a 16x42 PTAC, there are oodles of choices. If this is something special and you don't want to change the sleeve, there are mfrs that specialize in funky sleeve sizes.

Since the model # starts with 50 not 51, I doubt this is a PTAC though. So more info is needed!

It's not a PTAC, it is a 30"w X 42"h heat pump. The sleeve has 4 six inch collars on top to run duct from. Here is Carriers submittal:
    http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/50qt-1p.pdf

The unit is obsolete and I hear that they do not make a replacement for it.

[Edited by powerhead on 07-12-2005 at 08:29 AM]

Sorry, I can't seem to make the link work.
    These units were used primarily for large condos.
    50QT218300 is the model#.
    It is a 18000 btu unit mounted on an outside wall sleeve and has collars to run 4 ducts.

[Edited by powerhead on 07-12-2005 at 08:28 AM]

Never seen such a beast from Carrier. Best bet would be a Magic Pak or GE's Vertical Zoneline. We put one in once Friedrich made, comps lasted a year each.

Originally posted by powerhead
    Sorry, I can't seem to make the link work.
    These units were used primarily for large condos.
    50QT218300 is the model#.
    It is a 18000 btu unit mounted on an outside wall sleeve and has collars to run 4 ducts.

[Edited by powerhead on 07-12-2005 at 08:28 AM]
    Powerhead,

I am looking at replacing the exact same unit. What unit did you finally go for?

Thanks.

I'm late on this thread, but need the same advice

I have a 50QT model Carrier Heat Pump in my condo that I bought in 2004. It has a leak and I've had the refrigerant added twice now and that's the most that it can be done (by law I believe). I cannot find a company that will perform a leak detection and repair -- nobody wants to touch the thing. Not sure if it's because it's no longer manufactured or it's just a pain to work on, but since I use it for my heat, and winter is approaching, I really need to do something about it. It was running ok up until we had the really bad heat wave here in California in July. I don't know a thing about this stuff and I'm afraid somebody will end up taking me to the cleaners. I also have to work within the HOA association rules and I can't really get something that isn't going to "fit" or that will require modifications to the exterior of my unit. Can anyone help me??

Seems to me these condo associations are going to have to make adjustments since you can't get the exact unit.

http://209.39.20.159/literature/Broc...0Units/spx.pdf

First Company's unit has similar height in the wall opening but 10" narrower. The GE model is 31" tall and 20" wide.

do you know anything about units made by Coldpoint and Environmaster that are supposedly replacements for the Carrier 50QT?

Do you think it might be helpful for me to contact Carrier to see if I can find someone who can fix my unit. It has a leak, it's not broken. I realize that it may cost up to $1,000 to find and repair the leak (or so I was told), but that's till cheaper for me than spending $7,000 on a new unit. My condo building was built in 1992. Granted, it's not a new unit, but I certainly didn't think I'd have to be concerned about getting a replacement unit at this stage. And what kind of product does Carrier make that I can't find anyone who will even try to fix it?? I sure have learned from this experience - the next time I buy another place to live, I'm going to take a real close look at the HVAC unit to see if it's 1) still being manufactured, and 2) somethinig I can get serviced if need be. The home inspection I had done was worthless in this regard.

I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast