Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The house is 950 Sq.FT. House is using a 2 ton unit. 1st visit from AC Repair Co said Coolant was low and filled it. Didn't solve problem and called again. 2nd Visit they said my Coil needed to be pulled and cleaned. I was shown the coil and agreed (Though I am no expert, but it was pretty dirty).Again we still have the same problem. Basically the A/C is struggling to keep the house cool. During the day the house stays around 80 to 85 degrees. Outside Temp 90 to 95 degress (Central West Coast Florida). At first I thought that what was happening is the A/C was freezing up at night after running all the time to try and keep up with the Temp outside. Then I noticed that in the morning when I wake up there is hardly any air blowing out the vents (Again thinking freezing). I turn off the cool switch and turn the fan switch from auto to run and in about 5 minutes air starts blowing from the vents again. I can then switch the cool switch on and the system seems to run fine, but still can't cool house. I am starting to think I might need to replace the Thermostat or a switch in the air handler I really don't know what is going on any ideas from my diagnosis? The A/C repair Co. said they would be out today, but didn't show and no call, now have to wait for them all day again tomorrow after voicing my displeasure.

[Edited by jedholmes on 07-11-2005 at 06:54 PM]

Originally posted by jedholmes
    The A/C repair Co. said they would be out today, but didn't show and no call, now have to wait for them all day again tomorrow after voicing my displeasure.

I totally understand your frustration but sometimes it might take a few trips out to correct "some" problems that may be intermittent, we are not Doctors were we can give your unit an antibiotic and the healing begins and Docs are not perfect either they can overlook and miss diagnose problems, most of us a/c guys still fall into the human category and are susceptible to error. Personally I would say there on the right track and maybe if it's intermittent it will show up while they are there next time and maybe they got busy with other calls were folks had no a/c yes they should have called to let you know they would not be able to make it today but other than that I see no other fault.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Oh don't get me wrong I'm just looking for some other ideas that might be causing this problem. Yes I am unhappy with the no call no show after they said they would be there, but I didn't write post to slam them. I completely understand the business and know it might take a few times to correct problem. I was just trying to put some things down that somebody else might have seen before and can give me a general idea on what might be causing the problem I am having. The unit is 8 years old and hasn't had any problems up until now. I had the thermostat changed in 2001 went from analog to digital.

I wonder if your unit is locking out on low pressure? By you switching the stat you could then be resetting the system. Next without system pressure's and limited system info it's hard for me to make a judgement why system is not operating properly. Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you.

Sounds like they need to clean blower wheel if coils have been cleaned.May be this simple but often overlooked.Also check blockage of return air grill.

did anyone....

...check the temperature differential?

Not sure if they did that. They did say they checked the system and everything was good, but not sure what that included. Is that something they would normally do on a routine check?

Yes these are simple things to check which are generally overlooked.You have airflow problem.

If no one else will, I will. I'm not cutting the contractor any slack. For someone to say it is 'working okay' and the homeowner continue to have these problems is w r o n g. Obviously something IS wrong. I don't agree with the philospy, "we'll get it fixed if it takes every dime you've got!"

Sounds like the homeowner has done a better job of diagnosing the problem than the tech. Would any of us just kneejerk add refrigerant to the system and NOT check to see that proper airflow existed? I hope not.

Sounds like from the description, the system is doing exactly what the HO says. Icing up and when he notices the reduction in airflow (can't move air through a block of ice) he shuts it off, runs the fan, and after a while the airflow returns.

I also don't disagree that the blower wheel should also be checked / cleaned. Sounds like a thorough cleaning should have taken place. The evap was discovered to be dirty, when it was finally checked. I am disappointed that someone (tech) would just "blow and go." To add insult to injury, they don't return when they were supposed to, and don't call.

The customer in this case is very patient and I appreciate that. But, as you can see from his post as well as from mrbillpro, there is almost this 'expectation' that it takes several trips out to find the problem.

I disagree! I am certainly not perfect, and have had to make call backs in my career, but I can tell you more often than not, a return trip was unrelated to the original call. I was always willing to take the time necessary on the original call to cover all the bases. I was fortunate that I had a company that backed me up and shared that philosphy.

I would be curious to know if the return calls were billed, or were handled as 'warranty?' There are a lot of techs that will make as many trips as necessary as long as they can bill them out. (unfortunate but true.)

Problem = Airflow. I concur. Also, keep in mind, Jed that we are all trying to make diagnosis sight unseen.

I also hope the 'tech' referred to in this case has the wherewithall to recheck the refrigerant charge after the airflow issue has been addressed.

mrbill: I can also assure you that if I went to a Dr. for a problem and he made an incorrect diagnosis, I would certainly not return to that Dr. Why would I? "Gee Doc. so you sawed off the wrong leg, I guess we all make mistakes." NOT

No I am not perfect, and don't try to be, but I hope I am not the only one that sees this as a classic example of lowering the customers' expectations when we should be raising them.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this is the type of thing that makes me CRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYY!
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

check the charge sounds low

Thanks Mr. Lloyd

I appreciate your comments and can tell you that I have a maintenance plan for the Co to come out, so there has been no charge for the service call since the first time out. However I do get charged for work done. I won't discuss how much so far (Site Rules), but from what I have gathered at least the prices for the work they have performed thus far have been comparable to others in the area. The original guy that came out was very impersonal didn't say much, no big deal, but didn't really explain what he did and checked other than refrig was low and he filled it. The second time we called the on-call guy came out and I was impressed and was hoping he would be the one called back to do the coil cleaning, however I guess the Co. decided to send the original guy out and again not very much explanation of what he did, and low and behold we still have a problem. I certainily don't agree with the lower my expectations thing, but I guess when they have you over a barrel, your kind of stuck. My displeasure was voiced with Co. and if it doesn't get fixed soon I will make a report with the BBB. I have a 1 year old baby girl and 6 and 8 year old boys home all day for the summer and let me tell you it hasn't been much fun for them sitting in a hot house in Fla. We are a 1 income family and these chunks of dough cut into our lifestlye (which is not very much to begin with). We are living in a 1953 built house in Fla. Thanks Mr. Llyod for having the guts to stand up to some of these self righteous blank, blank, blank's.

Originally posted by John Lloyd

mrbill: I can also assure you that if I went to a Dr. for a problem and he made an incorrect diagnosis, I would certainly not return to that Dr. Why would I? "Gee Doc. so you sawed off the wrong leg, I guess we all make mistakes." NOT
    I'm Sorry please don't hit me.
    I understand no one is perfect but there are some that are a legend in their own mind does that count?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

mr loyd i agree
    coil is clean and condenser is clean. blower wheel dont know. did they put and readings on the invoice. presures and or t/d across the coil. chances are if the coil was that dirty then so is the blower and motor. ask for the tech you liked and be willing to wait for him maybe he will get you going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast