Hi, I am looking for arctiles/books/studies from highly respected sources that offer an education and comparison between the different types of residential HVAC systems currently on the market (oil, gas, electric, geothermal, heat pumps, etc)....and the associated costs/benefits.

Can someone point me to a web site etc...that would provide such information?

Ultimately I need this information for my own knowledge as well as to discuss with my local regulators why they should relax their ordinances to encourage more use of geothermal.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Check the ashrae "systems and equipment" handbook. Your local library (or a friendly engineer) should have it.

Efficiency

It's not necessarily the HVAC system that is the efficient part. The most cost effective HVAC (human comfort systems) are passive design elements, and consists of good, tight building envelopes, proper fenestration design (daylighting, thermal and solar control), building orientation, and making use of the natural climate in your zone. THEN you can play with the heat/cooling/ventilation/humidification systems to measure "efficiencies". Some good weblinks:

http://www.healthyheating.com
    http://www.ourcoolhouse.com
    http://www.squ1.com
    http://www.eccacoil.com/main-end-use...f=42&RefTop=57

GMCD,

Thanks for the info, I will review the provided links.

Note I am trying to build a case for my local government to encourage the use of geothermal, where appropriate. Currently the local regulators, in an effort to stop everybody from doing anything, have essentially made geothermal not an option (too much earth disturbance for closed-loop geothermal in their minds). I think that's a mistake but I need good data to prove it's relative efficiency.

Geothermal

Then get the municipal authorities to accept geothermal systems provided that "appropriate standards" are used for them. As long as there are proven standards and methodolgies that can be enforced, then the Municipal Authority can have something to use as a standard of installation to keep everybody playing the same game. There are good geo-exchange system standards, and I'm sure you've done a google search to see what's out there. In terms of the "most efficient" HVAC system, it varies according to the local climate. For example, in a heating dominated climate like Canada, where heating is required more often than cooling, the energy balance of a geothermal system will require an auxiliary heating source plugged into the loop. Conversely, in a cooling dominated climate like Florida, Texas, etc, an auxiliary cooling source will be needed. The most important thing that most geothermal system suppliers and installers keep "forgetting", in their zeal to sell "product", is that the geo system has to have a proper soil conductivity and energy balance analysis. Otherwise you CAN heat up the ground too much (and lose geo-exchange capacity) or cool the ground off too much (and lose geo-exchange capacity). The local officials are right to be concerned if there is any kind of water table present, and from the poor geo-exchange installations that HAVE screwed up the ground temps. There has to be enforceable standards used so that the PROPER soils conductivity and geothermal energy balances have been done.