I currently have a packaged unit that we will be replacing soon due to a remodeling. The initial thought was to purchase a split and put the air handler in the pantry (causing a little cramped area). However, I'm not sure if this is the best solution. Should I replace it with a new packaged unit? What are the advantages vs. disadvantages? Thanks for your input.

the good
    from a contractors point of view it is all outside with better access, no crawl space, no hot attic.

from a homeowners pov it is all outside, quieter, no fire in the house, frees up indoor space. no line set in the wall. no flood hazard from condensate.

the bad
    not for houses on slabs, bigger investment sitting outside for vandals, thiefs, lightning, the dog, kids, etc.

the ugly
    nothing ugly that i can see

Split systems can be much higher in efficiency than packaged units. Not that all splits are more efficient than all packages, but when you're buying new, lots of splits can do way better than even the nicest packages.

It's also impossible or impractical to have some of the accessories with packages- humidifiers and UV lights for one; it can also limit your choices for filtration.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wyounger
    [B]Split systems can be much higher in efficiency than packaged units. Not that all splits are more efficient than all packages, but when you're buying new, lots of splits can do way better than even the nicest packages.

It's also impossible or impractical to have some of the accessories with packages- humidifiers and UV lights for one; it can also limit your choices for filtration.

could not say it any better.

Originally posted by wyounger
    Split systems can be much higher in efficiency than packaged units. Not that all splits are more efficient than all packages, but when you're buying new, lots of splits can do way better than even the nicest packages.

Depending on the ducting, the UV and humidifier could be installed on it...

The filtration limits can be worked around also.
    (sealed ducting with remote media cabinets)

does that mean i have to remove the uv light, eac, humidifier, and zone system from the package we installed last month?
    i wanted to put a picture here

Originally posted by tlcartman
    does that mean i have to remove the uv light, eac, humidifier, and zone system from the package we installed last month?

yes